Thursday, November 1, 2012

November is Fun, Family, and Food by Jena Galifany

The holidays are supposed to begin with Thanksgiving. That is the date that most people observe as the opening of the festive season. I like to start with November 7th as that is my birthday! One week after Halloween, my holidays begin.

Sherri, Bill, Mom, Jena, and Dee
Holidays are for reconnecting with family. This year will be awesome because my oldest sister, Dee, her son Patrick, his wife, Tam and their daughter, Bella are moving back home from Texas. The really thrilling thing is that they will be here in the next week to ten days and my mother doesn't know they are coming. She will be so happy and that's what holidays are all about.

Last year, I was able to help my only brother come home for Christmas. Mom hadn't seen him and his wife and son for a couple of years. We were able to surprise her and her tears at seeing my brother made it all worth it. I want to do it again this year and we will all be together for Christmas for the first time in about five years. This is going to be great!

Holidays are for good food and a lot of it. Since we have a selection of picky eaters, the holidays include a main coarse of turkey, ham, and/or enchiladas with tacos, depending which part of the family we are with. I know it sounds strange but my mother-in-law likes the enchiladas and tacos because they are quick, easy and make for fast clean up. Works for me!

I like one dish meals for the ease of preparation and the ease of clean-up. Though the enchiladas are simple,
Chilliquillas are even better. Here's how it's done:


Chilliquillas
 
14 or 16 Corn Tortillas cut into small triangles
1 or 1.5 lbs of Ground Beef or Turkey, browned & drained
2 cans of mild or medium Enchilada Sauce (or you can do 1 of each)
1 pkg of Shredded Cheese
1 small can of diced Olives
 
Cook cut tortillas in hot oil. Make sure they are all softened by oil. 
 
Add meat, drained olives & sauces.
 
Mix all together so everything is coated. 
 
Let sit for a few minutes for flavor to mingle. 
 
Add cheese, mix and add more on top.
 
Serve with sour cream & diced green onion if you want. 
 
Enjoy

Quick, easy and only one skillet used in the preparation. the recipe may be doubled if you have a large family or it may be served as a side dish. (My thanks to Claire Martinez who shared this recipe with me years ago when we worked together.)

I believe that by Thanksgiving, you will have many traditional holiday recipes to try during the holidays so I wanted to begin the collection with something out of the ordinary. I hope you enjoy this dish and hope that you have wonderful holidays ahead!

_____________

Begin your Holiday shopping now. Ebooks make excellent gifts for all of your buying needs. I hope you will consider checking out my books available from Whiskey Creek Press and Red Rose Publishing. To see all of my books in one place, and read excerpts, stop by my WEBSITE.



Clive Hanson is destined to be a comfort to those traveling the rocky road of life. He does his best work on Christmas Eve.
Emily Ann Brewster wishes for one wonderful evening spent with a friend. What she gets is stuck in an elevator with a strange gentleman. And it's Christmas Eve.
What he does,and what she needs, is a miracle.

My short holiday story will lift your heart. At only $.99, it's a great gift and a great way to begin your holiday season. Buy it at Red Rose Publishing.


May your holidays be special and filled with fun, family and fabulous foods.

Cheers, 
Jena'

4 comments:

Jannine Gallant said...

I love Mexican food. We eat it all the time. This recipe sounds super easy and yummy! Thanks for sharing.

JenaGalifany said...

I hope you will enjoy it, Jannine. I think I'm going to make some tonight!

Margo Hoornstra said...

We are definitely going to try this recipe. Got my attention because it sounds very easy. Maybe even foolproof, which makes a difference to me.

JenaGalifany said...

Margo, it pretty much is foolproof and so tasty. Let me know how it turns out.
Cheers!