Saturday, April 1, 2017

What's Your Bad Lie in Life? by Rolynn Anderson

April Fools!  Nope, I’m not going to trick you today, but I do want to talk to you about life’s trip-ups…the idea we face a bad lie or two as we toddle through our lives.  In golf, a ‘bad lie’ is a place my golf ball comes to rest that causes me to use expletives describing my bad luck.  The picture I show you here (in Coeur d'Alene), represents a whole green that is a X*#!@ bad lie. 


More specifically, when I hit my ball, and it lands in a divot, against a rock, or a trunk of a tree, or in deep weeds, I can’t move the ball to improve my lie.  I have to hit from that horrible spot!


In my new romantic suspense novel, BAD LIES http://a.co/0DuYNPn, the title holds a double meaning, because the lives of my characters are endangered by a series of coincidences and deliberate nefarious actions of other people.  My golfer-heroine’s ball lands in some tricky spots; villains hand her some bad lies as well.

Think about a ‘bad lie’ you have been dealt in your life, one you couldn’t improve and you had to ‘live with.’  When I was a teenager and taller than all but one boy in my class, I thought being 5’10” was the worst bad lie possible.  But I’ve learned to enjoy being a tall woman, petite next to my 6’5” husband.  No, the bad lie I’ve had to struggle with all my life-my big feet, once a size 11; now a size 12.  Can’t do anything about ‘em.  Early on, no one made women’s shoes my size, and if they did, they were ugly.  Finding big and comfortable shoes that didn’t make my feet look like cruise ships seemed a fool's errand; no ‘normal’ shoe store had my size.  Nordstrom’s helped, but even today, to locate online a pair of golf shoes my size?  I’m lucky to have two choices; stylish...No.

There, I’ve told you about the ‘bad lie’ I’ve had to live with.  How about you?

While you’re thinking, here’s BAD LIES http://a.co/0DuYNPn:
Italy’s haunted caves spell danger for an American golfer and a NATO geologist
****
Sophie Maxwell is a late-blooming, unorthodox golfer, and mother of a precocious thirteen year-old. Determined to put divorce, bankruptcy, and a penchant for gambling in her past, Sophie goes to Italy for a qualifying golf tournament.
Jack Walker turned his back on a pro golfing career to become a geologist. As a favor to his ailing father he’ll caddy for Sophie; off hours, he’ll find caves on the Mediterranean coast, suitable for NATO listening posts for terrorist activity.
Someone is determined to stop Jack’s underground hunt and ruin Sophie’s chances to win her tournament.
On a Rome golf course and in the Amalfi coast’s haunted caves, all the odds are stacked against Sophie and Jack.  In their gamble of a lifetime, who wins?


Seven Suspense Novels Spiked with Romance

Web and Blog:
Facebook page:
Twitter:
Goodreads:

18 comments:

Angela Adams said...

Rolynn, I gotten so accustomed to knocking a few years off my age...now, I can't remember how old I really am (smile!). Enjoy the weekend!

Margo Hoornstra said...

And here I thought I was the only girl who grew up taller than everyone in my class except maybe one boy. Then only if fortune smiled my way. You too with the shoes? Why are all the cute, sale shoes always in size six or seven...narrow? At five eight and a size 10, footwise that is, guess that would be my Bad Lie. Thanks for sharing. I feel better now.

Diane Burton said...

LOL about shoes. I wear a size 10.5 EE. Zappos is my friend. Lots of styles and sizes. Free shipping both ways. I'm a fan. I, too, had the misfortune of reaching my height (5'7") before the boys caught up. I wish I'd had a sense of humor back then. I'm looking forward to reading Bad Lies, Rolynn. Best wishes.

Brenda Whiteside said...

My husband tells me I'm a good liar. I have a habit of softening the blow to friends and family if the truth is harsh...the reason for his statement. Looking forward to your new book!

Rolynn Anderson said...

Angela, I have to recalculate my age often...it's so easy (better) to forget the truth when it comes to birthdays.

Rolynn Anderson said...

Margo, my uncle kept telling me not to slouch (to hide my tallness) and about my big feet he said:'You have 'good understanding.' Isn't that cute? At the time I didn't feel like laughing...but today I realize he was trying to help.

Rolynn Anderson said...

Diane, you and Margo have cute little feet compared to mine. Seriously, see what choices I have in a size 12. Ridiculous!

Rolynn Anderson said...

Brenda, I do believe there are good lies that one must tell in order to soften blows. The question remains: has life dealt you a bad lie or two? One bad lie I was 'given': bucky beaver front teeth. Orthodontia was a choice (by parents) in those days-and they thought I looked fine...so when I reached the age of 30, I marched to the orthodontist and said "Fix these!" That was one bad lie I decided I didn't have to live with. I wore braces along with the teenagers I taught...we all grinched about it together. What's two years of embarrassment in 100 years? I'm a happier person (and like to smile!) because I 'handled' that bad lie.

Leah St. James said...

Wow...I had no idea so many Roses had similar shoe issues! I'm five-eight (or I was) and an 11W shoe size (or 10.5, which isn't made anywhere I've ever found). I too suffered from crappy shoe styles my whole life. When all my friends were getting those cute saddle shoes (that the cheerleaders wore), I had to settle for sneakers (usually men's size). The pointy-toe phase wasn't even in my realm of possibility. (I think those might be coming back...nooooo!)

But you're right, Rolynn. I will count my blessings from now on that I didn't have to find 12s!

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

A bad lie life has given me to deal with? Stuttering. I went through school a puzzlement to teachers. I wouldn't answer questions in class--it was easier to shrug than have everyone turn around and laugh as I stammered to force out words. So, to teachers I appeared unprepared and not too bright. Yet I scored in the highest percentile in achievement tests, exams, and writing papers. Their understanding was limited and I had to fight not to be put in Special Ed. as it was called back in the sixties. College at 44 helped me work through some of those issues. I've found if I can stand in front of a group, my words flow smoother. Go figure. A control issue, perhaps? But, sit me at a table and have everyone introduce themselves, by the time you get to me, ain't nottin' comin' out. I'm that tense. BUT, I do have a multi-lingual stutter. I can stutter in Latin, Spanish, French and Japanese.

Brenda Whiteside said...

Okay, I get it. Mine is fat ankles. Most of my life, I didn't realize I couldn't handle a normal sodium intake. My ankles are thick to start with and then when I eat too much salty food, oh my gosh...elephant legs. I avoided short dresses and shorts from high school until now. Yes, vanity reined. I was so envious of women with skinny ankles and small knees. One of my best male friends in high school told me "you're pretty cute from the knees up, Bren, but from the knees down, you're wasted." Now? I go for comfort and I'll wear knee length shorts BUT only if I've avoided the salt. Yep, still a little vain even now.

Rolynn Anderson said...

Vonnie, what an amazing story of persistence in the face of adversity. And you write like the wind, capturing the imagination of thousands of readers! A multi-lingual stutter? I have never heard of such a thing. The part of your upbringing that astounds me is how you had to fight the stereotype as a kid...and it took until college for people to help (as you helped yourself). When I was a teacher, I had students who hid problems with reading; I wonder how many kids were hiding speech problems no one knew about. I got braces at age 30; you went to college at 44...such late bloomers we all are! We didn't let bad lies get us down!

Rolynn Anderson said...

Leah, I presently wear a pair of men's golf shoes-the tennis shoe type-because I can't find a women's 12 in that style. Overtime I've worn men's size 10 shoes, but they are too wide and not very comfortable. My favorite golf shoes are by Footjoy and they are sandals. Ugly as hell, but so very comfortable. In end, I go comfort these days. When my feet are happy, I'm happy!

Rolynn Anderson said...

Now you're talking, Brenda! And you reminded me of another bad lie I have, too. I also have fat knees, inherited from my ding-dang grandmother and mother. And I can't even use sodium as an excuse. When I had both of my knees replaced and was told I'd have a six inch scar on each knee, I laughed at the concerned person. I said, "No one sees my knees except my husband and doctor." Brenda, I'm glad you have some control over the 'feature,' and since salt control is important to all, you have even more reason to eat healthily. Thanks for coming back in to tell all!

Jannine Gallant said...

My bad lie...crooked teeth. Yes, I had braces. Well, not the railroad track kind, but this "better system" where they didn't have to pull teeth. Turns out the "better system" never did get them really straight, then they started moving back... If I could afford the expense, I'd get Invisalign braces. However, my inherent thriftiness is at war with my vanity, and I'll have two kids in college come September...

Rolynn Anderson said...

Being able to smile naturally was huge for me. Before braces, I'd do a phony lip-closed smile. And not all vanity...my orthodontist said my bite was waaaay off...and I'd struggle with mouth problems if I didn't have teeth pulled and braces attached. Here's the vanity part: I had my front teeth veneered when I didn't like the color they were turning. I smile a lot...it's important :-)

Andrea Downing said...

Gee, what a load of big-footed women we have here. I hate to boast, ladies, but I was a AAA most of life, size 7.5. Now, of course, it's quite another matter, something like an 8B with my bunion. Actually makes getting shoes a whole lot easier. LOL Great double entendre, Rolynn--and I'm actually jealous of your height.

Rolynn Anderson said...

Andi, you made me laugh out loud! 'Big footed...' But oh god, bunions! Bad word. Ouch. I am bunion free. Thanks for the height compliment. When I was a high school principal, my size helped. Reaching in kitchen cupboards...an advantage to be tall. But in the dating world, a HUGE disadvantage. I met my husband on a blind date...asked the set-up pair "How tall is he?" Steve was 6'5". Good enough ;-)