Thursday, April 20, 2017

Spring has sprung

I'm sorry for the quick post this month but there's been a lot going on. My fourth book: COLD HEARTED VAMPIRE is with the copy editor. We've picked out the excerpt, blurb, and tag line. The cover artist is at work creating the cover. Everything indicates a publication date later this year. Hoping for late summer or fall.

I've added another member to the household:
 I got Zap (on the left) from the shelter Jan. 11, 2017, and I've already posted about him. He'd been mistreated, poor guy. Update: he is still a little hesitant at times. Especially, around large men but I think he's doing great.

The newest (on the right) is a 5 months old, Corgi/Heeler. His owner was going to take him to the pound so I brought him home with me late March 31, 2017. He wasn't housebroken (hadn't been inside a house at all) no shots, and no manners. In less than a month - as you can see by the picture - he's now sitting on command. Potty training is going quite well and the three of us are settling in.

I live on 34 acres and keep about 5 or 6 acres mowed. This feels like a full time job. I'm also clearing out some rock and brush, and have discovered snakes are abundant this year. 

I've also found myself knee deep in poison ivy.
  This kind

Not this kind...







   

R.E.Mullins: author of vampire/romances with a hint of intrigue.







Check out my new webpage at:
remullins.com 

 Buylinks:  Amazon   The Wild Rose Press

17 comments:

Jannine Gallant said...

Your dogs look like such sweeties. I hope you at least have a riding mower... Best of luck getting your book ready for the world!

Rolynn Anderson said...

Sweet doggies...so lucky to have you for a mom. You're also lucky to have wide open spaces to call your own...gives you the feeling of freedom and closeness to nature. Excellent atmosphere for a prolific writer. You go, girl!

remullins said...

Due to rain, we are shut up inside today. The boys are going a little stir crazy and I'm feeling like the den mother for dysfunctional dogs. Trying to write bu not getting much done.
Fortunately, I do have a riding mower. It still takes about 4 - 5 hours to mow it all. I'm not complaining, I get a lot of plotting done as I mow. :)

Brenda Whiteside said...

Love the doggie pic. I'd love to have that much land but I'd probably limit the mowing to a good sized yard!

Diane Burton said...

Those dogs are lucky to have you take care of them. What a large area to mow. Even with a riding mower, not sure I'd want to do that. Best wishes on your upcoming release. Let me know when you have a release date. I'd love to have you (and any of the Roses) as a guest on my blog.

remullins said...

Thank you, Diane, I'd love to be a guest on your blog. I'll let you know a release date as soon as I get one.

Brenda, My father used to keep the entire acreage (except pond and wooded area)looking like a park. He passed 23 years ago, and nature has had her way as Mom only mowed a few acres. When I first moved out here, I also mowed a couple of acres but gradually I've wanted to see more and more of it like it was. Plus I want to reclaim the old barn foundation (taken in tornado of 2008). I've decided to put a garage on it.
It does keep me busy.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

You lost me at snakes. Trembles. However, those pups are adorable. I want a dog so badly and Calvin says we were meant for more nobler things than walking behind a dog picking up it's "business" and bagging it. *snort* Good luck with your upcoming release!!

remullins said...

I certainly understand that as I was just took them outside in-between showers and noticed several piles of poop with pink, fuzzy material from one of their toys decorating them. Don't know which pup is the culprit. As for snakes, they are simply a fact of life when living on acreage with a pond, spring-fed creek, deer, Canadian Geese, kestrels, hawks, coyote, and fox. I do keep a healthy distance and leave them alone.

Andrea Downing said...

Cute pooches, R.E. As for the sit and ride, have you considered goats? Good milk and yoghurt...as if you didn't have enough to do.

remullins said...

I'd love to have some livestock but shy against taking on so much by myself.

Alicia Dean said...

Congrats! I love the title. And congrats on the new pet. Best wishes!

remullins said...

Thanks to all for your wonderful comments and wishes.

Margo Hoornstra said...

Rescue animals make the very best pets. We lost our latest rescue a couple of years ago and haven't renewed ourselves yet. As I always say...when one finds us. Both of yours are simply beautiful. And so well mannered! Best of luck with your upcoming - LOVE that title BTW. I'm originally from a big metropolitan city and now enjoy the country life. Wouldn't trade for anything. Happy mowing!!!

remullins said...

I lost my favorite buddy, Sabu last June and took in these two even though I wasn't sure I was quite ready. I'm pleased to say that, even though I will always miss Sabu, it was a good choice. Zap and Kif seem to have partially filled the hole he left in my life.
As for well-mannered? Not there yet but working on it. We are working on sitting and they did sit pretty for the picture but, I suspect, it was a fluke.

Leah St. James said...

The pups are adorable! I'm impressed you've made so much progress with the new pup (Kif?) in such a short time...even if the photo was a fluke! Good luck with the new book! Exciting.

remullins said...

Thanks. It's always exciting when you get in the final stretch.

Barbara Edwards said...

Spring is always so busy. Adding tow dogs is quite a challenge and I admire you.