Wednesday, April 19, 2017

What Happens in Vegas by Alicia Dean

Welllll....as you can see, I'm quite late with this post. I wish I wasn't such a procrastinator, and I'd have had the blog ready ahead of time. But, nope, not me. I do everything at the very last minute. It's a stressful way to live, but I don't foresee changing at this stage of life. :)

I didn't post this morning, because I had to leave early for Las Vegas. I've been asked to present at a conference with two other editors. We did the same conference two years ago, and it was fantastic! I'm honored to be asked back. I hope they enjoy us again this time. We're a pretty hard act to follow, and we have to follow ourselves. ;) We are doing a combined presentation on how to pitch. (and taking pitches throughout the conference. We'll see if we taught them well). Do any of you have horror stories about pitching we can share with the group? I promise not to use names. ;)

My individual workshop is going to be about building/crafting a scene. It's geared toward those times when you know what is going to happen, but you can't seem to develop the scene, can't seem to get the words out. It's happened to me frequently. How about you? Do you ever have that problem? I've come up with some steps/tips I use to counteract that. Hopefully, the attendees will find it useful.

Here's a pic of us last year. I'm in the middle, with the white scarf, right in front of the guy who's photo-bombing us. :D Such a great group of people. We had a blast!


Sorry if my post is a little...jacked up. I'm a bit jet-lagged. Have a great rest of your week!

9 comments:

Andrea Downing said...

Would love to know what conference that is, Alicia. As for pitching, the first time I did this--at little tables, one on one--I had to read my pitch. I was far too nervous. Neither of the agents to whom I pitched scowled and both asked for fulls. So reading didn't seem to matter...whatcha think?

Jannine Gallant said...

I've never pitched...or gone to a conference. It looks like you're having fun, though! Enjoy your time in Vegas.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

I've never pitched either. The thought sends me into spasms. I'd love to attend one of your seminars sometime. I can imagine they're as fun as they are helpful. Oh, contract is signed and returned.

Diane Burton said...

The first time I pitched, I was so nervous I read my notes too fast. She stopped me and asked if she could ask me questions. LOL Another time, I was in a group led by an editor. We went round robin, each of us pitching our books. About halfway around, this lady began "You aren't going to like this book. Nobody likes the book. It's about this man who..." and on and on. The editor tried to redirect her to no avail. It was embarrassing to listen to, and I felt sorry for those who hadn't gotten to pitch their books. I hope you have fun at the conference and that your workshop goes well.

Alicia Dean said...

Andrea, this is the Las Vegas Writers Conference. It's a great one. Donald Maas is here. Wow, I should have mentioned that in my post, LOL I don't mind at all if they read their pitches. I was nervous when I pitched, too, so anything to make them more comfortable.

Thanks, Jannine. I've pitched quite a few times, and it's always nerve-wracking. :D

Thanks, Vonnie. I certainly hope that's the case. I always seem to get good feedback. Awesome! I'll send an email about when to expect first round edits.

Diane, haha, Yes, I can see how nerves could make you do that. That's a shame about the woman who took everyone's time. You'd think the editor could have squelched her, but I guess easier said than done!

Leah St. James said...

I've only pitched once, at the New Jersey Put Your Heart in a Book conference. There were editors from Harlequin and Sourcebooks...and I forget where else. (Those are the two I pitched to.) The Sourcebook editor said I couldn't have a book with an erotic theme that wasn't written in the erotic style so she passed. The Harlequin editor asked for a full and after six months with no response, I submitted to The Wild Rose Press. :D It was a good experience, but I've never tried again!

Margo Hoornstra said...

Look at me, commenting a day late. Sometimes that's just how we gotta roll. I've pitched before, sweated bullets, practiced and practiced before hand, then ended up reading my pitch as well. The last time I pitched, and it definitely was and will be the last time, I was at a conference where Donald Maas, BTW, was the headliner. The agent I was to pitch to had missed her flight, so we were all given a phone number to dial from our individual cell phones at our specified pitch time. They put me in a private room at my alloted time where my phone showed up 'no service' (it turned out to be a problem at the venue.) So there I was, madly running around the place trying to find service, using up my however many minutes. When I finally connected, in the middle of a main hallway, I sat down against the wall and pitched away! Hope you had/have a great time, Ally.

Alison Henderson said...

Hope the conference is going great and you're getting some great pitches. I've pitched many times, most rather ho-hum, but one was just plain awful. I had done my homework on the agent, checked to see what her website said about her preferences and checked her client list. I sat down with a smile and sensed from her expression that she'd rather be sitting in the fires of hell than that hotel ballroom. I sucked it up and started talking about Unwritten Rules. She interrupted my first sentence with, "I don't like humor. I like dark, scary suspense." There was literally nothing more to talk about at that point. If I'd had any sense, I'd have thanked her and left that moment, but I was too stunned. I sat there and tried to find something to say for several more minutes. UGH.

Barbara Edwards said...

Wish I could take that class. I need to find motivation.