Saturday, April 8, 2017

The Wedding, Part Two by Andrea Downing

If you’ve ever watched ‘Project Runway’ you will know that the most biting criticism Michael Kors can make of a design is that it’s ‘sooooo Mother of the Bride.’ 
Being Mother of the Bride entails almost as much beauty and dress consideration as that of the bride—there’s the same rush to lose weight or keep weight down, the same discussions with a hairdresser and/or make-up artist, and the same madness concerning what-to-wear, only there’s no bridal salon to help.
I lost some weight, but not much.  Medication for AFib and blood pressure has got my metabolism going backwards while age has got my flesh sagging southwards.  I envisage myself looking one way and find something totally different in the mirror, much to my disgust.  With time at a premium, dress after dress arrived from every department store imaginable and was just as swiftly returned to them, with such speed it sent my credit card swirling. 
The $8,000 dress I WON'T be wearing!
A visit to Saks found me the most gorgeous dress in which I felt like a princess, looked like a million, and fainted at the $8,000 price tag.  An overconfident salesperson? What would I be paying for?  It was just a floor-length, shirt-waist  dress that the designer had manufactured in a rather nice silk.
Cristal and I set aside another evening, after she got off work, to go look again, this time starting at Bergdorf’s.  It was a disaster.  While a dear friend had suggested I book personal shopping, personal shopping had lost my booking and handed me over to a gentleman salesperson who knew nothing about me, despite the lengthy info sheet I had completed.  After trying several dresses, we headed off to what we believed was our last chance, a small boutique specializing in evening wear.
Nothing appeals to me much less than pulling off layer upon layer of winter clothing to slip into the silken folds of some evening dress that makes me look like Miss Piggy the day she danced with Nureyev, even if the dress was designed by the same Italian who did my daughter’s beautiful wedding gown.  After about four dresses were discarded and handed out through the curtain to our nervous salesperson, I finally slipped on a dark blue dress, off the shoulder, with a low back,  and very slimming. Cristal zipped up the back.  Bingo!  I looked fantastic.  I stepped out of the dressing room—and was told the dress was on backwards. A wraparound belt hides the front zip.  Wonderful!  What better!  It will save me the indignity of having to ask the doorman to unzip my dress in the back at two o’clock in the morning.  No, it isn’t off the shoulder nor low in the back, but the cowl collar suits me and I was set to go. And it sure as heck didn’t cost Eight Grand.
While my daughter has been a major domo, working to both save the world and save the wedding, I’ve stood by aghast at the ideas that have flowed past me.  Place settings, transportation up to the Botanical Gardens where the wedding is being held, a bilingual website with all the information and for easy R.S.V.P.ing, gift bags, ballet shoes so the ladies can kick off their heels to dance, hairdresser, and make-up. And spray tan.

Spray tan?
What a super idea.  I have such white, pasty skin I was immediately game for this innovation.  My niece did this prior to her wedding and looked fabulous—immaculate. We decided both Cristal and I would go for a trial run at the same place as my niece. I tell you now I have never before had spray tan.  I had used tanning beds ages ago before beach holidays, but never had the color sprayed onto me.  I may have even tried the stuff that comes out of a bottle and leaves your bathroom a wreck but spray tan, not on your nelly.
Let me sum it up by saying nothing is more humiliating than standing stark naked except for a paper diaper and a plastic shower cap while some stranger sprays what looks like liquid poo-poo at you. 
Still, the only disaster thus far in the proceedings is that Cristal’s hairdresser has family problems and won’t be able to do her hair.  He is, however, training a replacement.  If that’s all that goes wrong. . . .


And should Carolina Herrera wish to make a donation of her evening dress, she can find me at http://andreadowning.com

23 comments:

Patti Sherry-Crews said...

You look beautiful...in the dress you didn't buy! I'm glad you posted a picture. What a great idea! I'm immediately going to go out and not buy expensive clothes but take pictures of me in them. Thanks for the laughs this morning. So many moments--the dress on backwards, the ignominy of the spray tan. I look forward to hearing more of your misadventures as mother-of-the-bride. You look fantastic! I hope Caroline sends you the dress.

Rolynn Anderson said...

Oh, how I hate to try on clothes...your try on-try on-again and again, gave me the willies! Invitations in different languages? Sprayed with poo-poo? You have to put this stuff in a novel! Uh, after the wedding I mean. For now, just jot down notes. One daughter, one time. Keep remembering that. An event you'll never forget, and bumpy roads you'll laugh about many years from now.

K. Lyn Wurth said...

Oh you made me laugh so hard, when you said the dress was on backwards! I can't tell you how many days I feel my whole body is on backwards! And the spray tan Poopoo, LOL. I love your writing, and I love how you sum up so many of our, shall we say, mid life adventures. My own daughter's wedding is many years behind me, but the memories linger. Thanks for making me laugh today. Happy wedding to you, friend.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Thanks for my morning chuckle. Hell, I'd have worn the dress backwards if I liked the way it fit. Who would have known unless the saleslady was a guest at the wedding? I'll be eager to see pictures of the wedding.

Jannine Gallant said...

I want to see the dress you did buy! $8000 for a dress? Who in the world would pay that? I'm enjoying your trial by fire, but at this point I'm hoping my girls never get married...

Andrea Downing said...

Yes Patti, it is rather a good idea. Maybe the next step is to go into Tiffsnys and try on diamond necklaces, maybe even buy one only to return it as 'too heavy'sfter the wedding ?

Andrea Downing said...

Oh Rolynn, I don't need to take notes. Even with the occasional Valium and the less than occasional glass of wine this will be imprinted on my poor brain forevermore

Andrea Downing said...

Thanks for such kind words. At least these misadventures are good fodder for my writing--you know the old adage: write what you know!

Andrea Downing said...

It's still a possibility Vonnie. If I drink enough I may wear that dress backwards yet!

Alison Henderson said...

I'm so glad you found the perfect dress. What an ordeal! You did make me laugh, though. I don't think I've ever tried on a dress that COULD be worn backwards. I'm sure the whole affair will be fabulous!

Andrea Downing said...

I hate to tell you but someone is paying that for a dress cos the damn thing has sold out. As for yr daughters, I'd say either save now or pray they elope 🙄

Andrea Downing said...

Let's hope it IS perfect Alison. That remains to be seen....

Leah St. James said...

I really needed this laugh today, Andi! Just as I'm prepared to start looking for my MOG (Mother of the Groom) dress! I almost purchased one from an online store in Hong Kong but I'm too skeptical of their sizing charts. (We bought jackets from an Asian manufacturer at the day job, and a standard men's medium was like XXXXXL for that manufacturer!) I've convinced myself to head to the consignment shops in the next few weeks. I figure no one looks at the MOG anyway! (BTW, I agree with Vonnie, wear it backwards if that's how you like it. And maybe the nervous helper guy was wrong!)

Cristal Downing said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andrea Downing said...

Leah, it is tempting to wear the dress backwards, but the one great thing about wearing it the correct way is that the zipper will be in the front. As I said, I don't fancy having to ask the doorman here to unzip me at 2 o'clock in the morning when I get back to my apartment building (half-cut no doubt as well) Good luck with your own dress search--a consignment shop sounds like a great idea. then maybe you'll be the one wearing an eight thousand dollar dress for which you've paid only a tiny fraction!

Margo Hoornstra said...

Two things, while I truly sympathize with your plight, I Truly enjoyed reading about your dress adventures. Fear not - I planned two weddings with two daughters about ten years apart. Had a ball each time, found the perfect dress each time, and immensely enjoyed myself each time. Although never did do the spray tanning thing. Something to consider...maybe for our upcoming 50th - yikes! - next year.

Andrea Downing said...

Margo, thanks for those words of encouragement. I have just got back from the tasting evening, trying out various bits of the menu we hope to serve and feel very positive about the whole thing. Of course, several glasses of wine might be helping in this view...

Diane Burton said...

I've been MOB and MOG. Had fun at each wedding. Found the perfect dresses for both at less than $150. The last one (son's wedding) I wore on a cruise for "dress up" night (I forget what it's really called, but SIL wore his tux and grandson wore a suit he'd worn as ring master--not ring bearer, ring master!) Anyway, enjoy the process but more importantly, enjoy the wedding. And I hope you can wear the dress more than once.

Andrea Downing said...

Diane my daughter is already planning on dying and cutting down her wedding gown. Of course whether that actually happens is another matter but with friends children still single I'm hoping my dress will eventually get another show

Brenda Whiteside said...

I have a son and didn't get the honor of what you are going through. It sounds wonderfully crazy!

Andrea Downing said...

Brenda, I'm trying to keep my hands away from the pill supply -- it's a tough call!

Carmen Peone said...

Oh my goodness, Andi. You crack me up. I've been the mother of 4 sons and with no daughters will never be the mother of the bride. I congratulation your efforts and endurance. You are gorgeous just the way you are, backward dress and all. Enjoy the ride! Rest when it's all over.

Alicia Dean said...

You look gorgeous!!! LOL. So funny. I enjoyed the post. Best of luck!!