Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Two Steps Forward, One Step Back by Alison Henderson

Sound the trumpets! Ring the bells! I finally finished the first draft of the first three chapters (approximately 16%) of my new book. I've been terminally distracted the past few months, and sitting down to write has been like volunteering for a root canal. I've found dozens of other things to fill my time.

Another part of the problem has been my process. I'm a plotter by nature, so the idea of leaping into the creative unknown terrifies me. To beat back the paralysis of fear, I start every book with fairly detailed character profiles and a chapter-by-chapter basic outline. The outline isn't too detailed--just a paragraph for every chapter. It's mainly to prove to myself that I have enough story for an entire book. My books are all about the same length (82K-85K words), so I plan for 20 chapters of 20 double-spaced pages each. Some chapters may end up a bit shorter and some a bit longer, and I might end up with one fewer or one more, but that's the basic structure. 

My process is similar to that of writers who use note cards, except I put the outline in a single document I later manipulate at will. I usually have several plot points in mind, along with a rough idea of where they fall in the story, so I begin with those, assigning them to a chapter. This process continues until I've used up my initial ideas. That always leaves a few holes. For example, I'll bop right along for the first four or five chapters, then have a blank until Chapter Nine, when I know there has to be a turning point. If I don't already know what that is, I figure it out. Then the same thing happens again for a few chapters in the second half until the three or four chapters at the end. 

As I write, more ideas come to me, and I insert them into the outline where I think they should go, knowing I can always move them later. During the course of writing the book, some ideas will expand, taking up more space than I'd originally expected, and some will be discarded. After six books, I trust myself to ultimately fill all the blank chapter headings in the outline, but those blanks still make me nervous at the beginning.

One reason this book has been slower to get off the ground than others is that, despite my preliminary profiles, I had to get to know my characters as they began speaking and interacting with each other. My heroine in Child's Play is a newly-minted PhD in Child Psychology who had made brief appearances in the first two books in the series, so I thought I knew her. However, a visit to my daughter last month and a couple of days spent around her friends who are PhD students gave me new insights into their deeper feelings and the things they worry about. When I got home, I had to stop and go back to the beginning of my manuscript to correct and strengthen my heroine. The upside was I found I'd written some stuff I really liked. The downside was it took an extra week. Fortunately, I don't have and editor or contract breathing down my neck, so however long this book takes is how long it takes. It's more important that I get it right. 

Of course, after I devoted more time and space to proper character development, I realized I had shortchanged the suspense plot. Time to go back and plant a few clues. After all, it's always something!

Alison
www.alisonhenderson.com 

17 comments:

Margo Hoornstra said...

It is always something, Alison. So true. You write like I do. A basic idea, a little outline that changes as the story moves forward and backward, then sideways sometimes. Uh-huh. Always something. Best of luck as you and your characters move forward.

Leah St. James said...

Sounds like you've found a process that works well for you, Alison. I like the methodical approach as well, which is why I really, really dislike the fast-draft model. I'm always thinking ahead as well as reviewing as I write. Looking forward to reading Child's Play. Fabulous cover--as always! :-)

Rolynn Anderson said...

I do love to hear how a plotter works because it shows me how opposite I am. I have no yearnings to work the way you do; you'd go screaming into the streets if you tried to write like I do. Yet we both aim for well-written, compelling page turners. The next time I write a series, I'll use some notecards, I think, to keep track of characters, but even that tactic makes me a little itchy. And look at you, with a great cover finished before you've completed the book! I'm celebrating our differences, Alison...write on!

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

As a pantser, I love the back and forth of changing things about my characters as I get to know them. I know that's strange. Still I envy your attention to detail, your methodology. Once your mind settles on things, you'll move ahead quite nicely. Me? I've got a novella, 3 books, and a rewrite of one previously published going on at the same time. Plus another in front of an editor. Don't even inquire into my mental state at the moment.

Brenda Whiteside said...

I'm somewhat like you, Alison, but I tend to start writing before I know it all. I keep a character page on each character in every book. I usually know quite a bit about my hero and heroine but not a lot about the others until I start writing. I don't outline but jot off a quick synopsis for myself. NOW that gets hacked on a lot as I go. There have been times I'm writing away and decide to go look at my synopsis and say "that's what I was going to write?" Whoops. I tried writing two at a time like Vonnie. It worked for a while but when I got really caught up in one, the other sat lonely until I'd finished the first.

Jannine Gallant said...

Alison, my process used to be exactly like yours. I think we're a lot alike, organized and methodical with perfectionist tendencies. I spent a lot of time on character sketches and fairly detailed outlines for the entire book before I started writing. Then I made adjustments when my characters didn't play nice. The process worked for me and obviously works for you. The downside I discovered was that it took me nearly a year to write a book. A lot of time went into preparing and maintaining my "prep work." When I decided to write a few novellas for series TWRP put out, I didn't feel the need for such thorough prep docs since the plots were shorter and simpler. I eased out of my plotter profile and became more of a panster. When I went back to full length novels, I was freaking out a little but jumped in without the prep work. Sometimes I do get stuck, but the upside is I can write a book in 5-6 months now. I've grown comfortable with the freedom of letting my characters develop the plot as their personalities come out, and with a pub that likes putting out multiple books in the same series close together, I need the speed. But in the end, we all have to do what we're comfortable with. If you're interested in being a little more of a panster, try it first with something short, like our Christmas stories. You may discover you like the process.

Alison Henderson said...

Thanks, Margo. Onward and upward!

Alison Henderson said...

Leah, I'm not sure how well my process actually works--I'd like to write faster--but it feels the most natural to me. And thanks for the vote of confidence on the cover.

Alison Henderson said...

Rolynn, I'm so in awe of pantsters. I wish I could sit down to write and ideas would just flow, but they don't. Happily, as you said, we manage to end up in the same place at the end. The brain is a fascinating thing, isn't it? As for the cover, I like to do them early to keep me inspired to finish the book. lol

Alison Henderson said...

Vonnie, your creative brain is a marvel. I could no more keep that many projects going at once than I could rise and fly!

Alison Henderson said...

Brenda, it sounds like our processes aren't all that different. I like to refer to my outline as I go because sometimes I've forgotten some of my GREAT ideas by the time I get to that point in the book. lol

Alison Henderson said...

Jannine, I've always blamed my slow writing on a lack of self-discipline, not on my process. I'd love to be able to write more than one book a year. Maybe one of these days I'll be brave enough to try loosening up and see what happens.

Andrea Downing said...

I'm always interested to read about other people's MOs, especially plotters as I'm a dyed in the wool pantser. Amazing really I ever write anything! Onwards, pal--you'll get there.

Alison Henderson said...

Thanks, Andi. I hope so!

Diane Burton said...

Love the cover for this one, Alison. As far as writing processes go, I couldn't write like you do. I just plunge in and write. Eventually, I need to do a little plotting. If I do too much, it feels like I've told the story--so I don't need to write. Does that make sense? I'm so glad I finally finished Meddling Mama. I plotted that one (in my head, not on paper or screen) too much. Then I found all kinds of excuses not to write. It sounds like you've found what works for you, and that's all that matters. Good luck!

Alison Henderson said...

Thanks, Diane. I understand what you mean about having already told the story if you write anything down. I seem to freeze up because I don't know what happens next if I don't plan the basics out in advance, but there are always changes.

Alicia Dean said...

Alison, my writing process is similar to yours, I am definitely a plotter, and SO jealous of those who can dive in and just write. I don't feel bored or like I'm going over material I've already written when I have an outline, because I enjoy creating the actual scene and how the character deals with the situation. And, mine changes some, like everyone's. I have tried to just sit down and start writing a story, but I have trouble filling in enough events if I don't have a roadmap. I tweak my process a little with each project, and I usually do scene notes rather than paragraphs for each chapter, but you know, I kind of like that idea. Maybe I'll mesh your process with mine and see how that works. I've tried detailed character sketches but that doesn't really work for me. I get to know my characters as the story progresses. That's what makes me a plot driven rather than character driven writer, I suppose. :) Good luck with your progress!