Friday, March 3, 2017

To Mentor or Not To Mentor

~~ Vonnie Davis

Almost a year ago, I listed my name on RWA's site for finding a critique partner. The two I had before were great. Awesome. So good, in fact, they had each contracted a series with close deadlines. I felt, with all the pressure involved with the growth of their writing careers, I was adding extra stress by asking them to stop working on their stuff to read my chapters. So, maybe I could find someone who was less strained for time. Who didn't have deadlines, edits, and promo of new releases constantly  looming.

A young mother contacted me. She'd never been published. Okay, I could work with that. I was being told by my editor, at the time, that I wrote old. My word usage was dated. So, a younger adult could help me be more current. Win-Win.

She sent me her first chapter. There were several problems. Not huge, mind you. Newbie problems. Ones I'd made myself years ago. Okay, ones I still make before I do a hard edit. How much more honest can I get with y'all? Even so, beneath the almost constant use of that, just, and only, I could see talent beaming through. She didn't have "telling" versus "showing" nailed down so I sent her lessons I'd written for Savvy Authors.

In short, I mentored her.

She wasn't my first. Like many of you probably have, I've mentored others over the years. All are now published, except for one who just couldn't get the concept of popping heads. That the pov character couldn't see the person on the other end of a phone conversation shake her head. I'd helped her for over a year with little improvement. Finally, I had to cut her loose.

Not with this new young woman. She wanted to learn. Whatever instructions I gave her, she soaked up like a sponge. Slowly, the lovely woman I mentored became a stronger writer and a valuable critique partner. She began to pick up on my weak points, which pleased me. Why? Because
I knew she was getting stronger.

Once her book was written, we went through the editing process together. I learned more about street drag racing than I ever knew there was to learn. She sent me YouTube videos on the sport to watch and get the gist of her writing topic. I helped her make her Young Adult romance shine with suggestions here and there. She'd learned so much in our time together as well as the online classes she'd taken, I just stepped back and watched her shine.

I gave her tips on how to write a synopsis and a query letter. I edited them for her. Not that I had much to do. She'd gotten it.

Since she has no agent, she went to the RWA site and got the listing of publishers that accept unagented submissions. She sent off her query package according to what each publisher requested on their website, exactly as they'd requested. I'd told her this was her first test as an author. Publishers figure if you can't follow directions on how to submit, how will you follow their editing instructions?

She listened.

Pardon me while I sound like a proud Mama. This young friend, who I've never met, who's never been published has a contract offer from a small publisher...AND full manuscript requests from The
Wild Rose Press, Lyrical, HarperImpulse, Siren, Harlequin, City Owl, Entangled, and Sourcebooks.
Several who are giving her submission prompt special attention because of her contract offer from a small publisher.

So, mentoring turned into critiquing and a great friendship. Candice writing as Leslie, you go girl!


21 comments:

Leslie Scott said...

Awe! Vonnie, you are a Godsend to me, my career, and my sanity. Thank you for your kind words. Though, not so much for calling me out on my just usage (kidding).

I'd still be muddling about, were it not for your time and faith in me. Now I've got a map and a compass, so maybe I might know which way to go.

And yes folks, Vonnie watched legitimate street racing videos and can probably tell you the difference between a turbo charger and nitrous. In turn, I can rattle off an entire list of telling verbs and managed to submit with something resembling confidence.

Angela Adams said...

Vonnie, I actually have some of your advice on yellow "post it" sheets tacked to my bulletin board. Thanks!

Leah St. James said...

What a lovely post! I was amazed when I first joined the writing community (especially romance) how generous with time and advice the veteran writers were with us newbies (and each other!). Congratulations to Candice writing as Leslie. Wishing you much success! (I had to edit out a couple uses of "just" myself there!)

Rolynn Anderson said...

Stories like yours abound among women writers, Vonnie. Those of us who were English teachesr know my strong bond with students came because they knew I cared deeply about what they had to say in their compositions. Whether fiction or non-fiction, we pour our hearts into what we write, and when people critique/help with 'how' we write, that shows they care. The win-win is right on...as we critique, we improve our own writing...and gain a lifelong reader/fan. Time and care well spent. P.S. JL was/is my mentor (through FTHW), and helped me get published by Wild Rose Press. She is bursting with wisdom and a prolific, superior writer!

Brenda Whiteside said...

Love these kind of stories. It's so rewarding to help a newbie writer, especially when they are like a sponge. BTW Rolynn, JL is the master mentor. How great for you.

Jannine Gallant said...

What a terrific success story. Congratulation to Candice and to you Vonnie, for sharing your wisdom. My 20 year old daughter has taken to reading my books in word after my critique partner but before they go to my editor. Apparently, I'm not producing fast enough... Anyway, she turned on track changes on the last one, and I got a bunch of comments like "Seriously, Mom, no one but an old lady would say this." So, I agree, it pays to have a young perspective when we're writing characters in their twenties or even thirties. Great, uplifting post!

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Leslie, we all needed help to get started. Someone to believe in us and give us gentle nudges and slaps on the wrists. Working with you has been fun. The friendship we've gained, even better. Hugs, hon.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Aww, Angela, really? I hope it was good advice and not something goofy as I'm prone to blurt out.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Romance writers are the best at helping each other. They really are. When I'm in a "hair pulling, woe-is-me" mood, I have a couple I always email. They get my angst. They know how to calm me down.

Andrea Downing said...

What a great story--and so very generous of youm, Vonnie, to feel this way about helping newer writers. Her success is your success. Well done.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Rolynn, I'm glad you found your mentor. When I think of you, I think of "Love Darts and Escargot" and the book I wrote from your blog on that topic. Inspiration hits us anywhere. And other writers are always eager to help us plot and plan and pull us out of a corner we've written ourselves into.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Brenda, Candice was a rubber duckie shaped sponge. Bwahahaha. I hope she's reading these comments.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Yes, Jannine!!! We can get the grammar and pov correct. We know how to show. We know most of the tricks of the trade, but our lingo dates us. It doesn't ring true with the age we're writing. I need to spend more time at the local college library and be a sponge there, too.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Thanks for your kind words, Andrea.

Leslie Scott said...

A rubber duckie shaped sponge? lol

Thanks everyone, for your kind words. I got lucky with such an awesome mentor. I agree with Andrea, my success is her success.

Alison Henderson said...

What a perfect start to my day! I've never had the pleasure of mentoring a newer author from beginning to success like that, but it sounds so rewarding. Congratulations to you both!

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Oh Alison, sometimes I think I do better at helping others than I do at helping myself. I don't listen to me so well. LOL

Margo Hoornstra said...

A great story in a story in a story. Writers, and romance writers are truly such a giving lot. You, my dear Vonnie, are certainly leading that particular charge. Congratulations to both mentor and mentee.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Thank you, Margo. Candice and I have formed a strong bond. Her father, who is a hardcore Harley rider, read our blog today. Probably a first for the Roses.

Diane Burton said...

A wonderful story, Vonnie. You are so generous with your time and talent. I kept waiting for the stab in the back. (Am I cynical or what?) I'm so glad your mentee learned from you and appreciated your help. You are such a special person.

Alicia Dean said...

Awwww...that's fantastic!! Congratulations, Leslie. Vonnie, what a wonderful thing you have done for so many. It is so rewarding to mentor other authors. Frustrating, though, when some just don't quite 'take.' Best of luck, Leslie!!