Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Dreams Fulfilled, At Any Age, Why Not? by Rolynn Anderson

It may have been Abigail Van Buren who first said something like this: “Those who don’t start acting on their dreams today, thinking it would take years to attain, will be making the same complaint years from now if they don't get started.”

So in my newly released novel, BAD LIES, the heroine, Sophie is a recovering gambling addict with a thirteen year-old daughter.  Sophie has an extraordinary natural talent at golf, which she discovers by accident.  This is a woman who has given up a life of chance.  Does she take up professional golf at an age when most golfers have quit the circuit?  And what the hell does she do with a caddy who hates the game, but promised his father to coach her?

So BAD LIES is my dream book, telling a story of a woman who gloms onto a sport and thrives, good enough to compete at the professional level.

What's your dream?  If, today, you could start working on that goal and have the ‘thing’ you’ve always wanted, what is it?  (For me, it's the call to be a keynoter at an author conference...and what such a call implies)   What's yours?

While you’re thinking, here’s BAD LIES, Kindle version (working on paperback now) :http://a.co/0DuYNPn

Italy’s haunted caves spell danger for an American golfer and a NATO geologist
****
Sophie Maxwell is a late-blooming, unorthodox golfer, and mother of a precocious thirteen year-old. Determined to put divorce, bankruptcy, and a penchant for gambling in her past, Sophie goes to Italy for a qualifying golf tournament.
Jack Walker turned his back on a pro golfing career to become a geologist. As a favor to his ailing father he’ll caddy for Sophie; off hours, he’ll find caves on the Mediterranean coast, suitable for NATO listening posts for terrorist activity.
Someone is determined to stop Jack’s underground hunt and ruin Sophie’s chances to win her tournament.
On a Rome golf course and in the Amalfi coast’s haunted caves, all the odds are stacked against Sophie and Jack.  In their gamble of a lifetime, who wins?

Seven Suspense Novels Spiked with Romance
http://www.rolynnanderson.com (Website and Blog)


16 comments:

Jannine Gallant said...

What a great premise for a book, Rolynn. Sounds exciting. As for my dream...I want to make a living off my writing. I haven't given up on that dream yet!

Rolynn Anderson said...

Jannine, congrats on your release! And I'm cheerleading you on your dream...we'll all be pointing to you as one of the Roses who did it!

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

One day as I was dusting, Calvin took me by the arm and marched me into the smallest bedroom where I had my computer set up. "Sit and write." I told him I had things to do. He replied when Death came for me, I'd whine and say, "But I wanted to write a book." He kissed my forehead. "Write it now. While you're still alive." We laughed, but I started. And I started quite clumsily, I might add. You'll never read THAT mess!

In life dreams often change. This is what I tell my grandchildren. Attain one goal and set another. Always have a dream. Mine was to get published. Then it was to get published with one of the big guys. Then it was to make one of the Best Sellers List. I don't see that happening now--sometimes dreams are based on ego and are unrealistic. Ego more in check (LOL), my current dream is to write books I'm proud of and that enchant my readers. I want to expand my reader base.

Alicia Dean said...

Congrats, Rolynn...sounds like a great read. I love that it's a heroine who is a bit older and chasing her dream. My dream has always been to be an author, and I'm blessed to be able to do that. Like Vonnie, the ego in me would always want to be a best seller, win the highest awards, become famous, etc. But, just to keep writing is all I really need. However, one goal I have, crazy as it sounds, is to be an attorney. At 55, that's not going to happen, but I think I'd love it and be very good at it. Enjoyed the post!

Rolynn Anderson said...

Vonnie, I don't know where you found your precious Calvin, but I know where you could make a ton of cash...CLONE CALVIN! A world of mini-Cal's? Wonderful!

I agree with you on the ever-changing goal thing. As long as the next one is a risk, resets are excellent. I like your newest goal which comes after lots of experience with the challenges of writing for editors/publishers. I'm seeing a lot of happy readers in your future :-)

Alison Henderson said...

Congrats on your new release, Rolynn! I'd have to say I'm living my dream. I live a creative life in the most beautiful place I know. My time is basically my own, and I don't answer to anyone but myself. (We don't count OG, because we all know I don't actually answer to him. LOL) Over the years, I've only had a few concrete goals and dreams, and those have all become reality. In general, I like to make the best of the surprises life puts in my path. I always expect the best, and so far, that's pretty much what I've gotten.

Andrea Downing said...

Rolynn, quite honestly I think you're well on your way to achieving your dream. I have a handful, all unrelated and quite ridiculous--when I was a child I wanted to win an Academy Award for acting. Now I'd like one for a screenplay. I'd also like to be able to ride to rodeo standard--not gonna happen. At the moment can't even lope due to bad knees. And then there's the Great American Novel. Hmmmm.....

Rolynn Anderson said...

Alison, your half-full cup attitude comes through. You and OG took a big risk by transforming to Californians, so I'm sure there were moments of worry (the fire near you didn't help). But you've made quite a piece of heaven for yourselves...well deserved! I like your idea of making the best out of surprises!

Rolynn Anderson said...

Andi, y'all get some robo-knees like mine and a gentle horse and you can ride rodeo standard...no? Interesting about the 'literary' brass ring. Maybe a bunch of us should sit down and write one together and get it out of our systems. It looms for me, too. Something like To Kill A Mockingbird would do for me.

Angela Adams said...

I've always consider whatever I try to achieve as more of a goal, than achieving a dream. Love the premise of your new release, Rolynn, and I'm intrigued by your choice of sport for your character. Best wishes!

Leah St. James said...

I thought I commented yesterday...sheesh! Sorry to be late! I also love the book's premise. My goal is also to make a living writing fiction. I have a long, long way to go, but hey, it's worth trying, right?

Rolynn Anderson said...

Alicia, your attorney dream is not lost...even living some aspect of that skill set might be worth a try! Dreams do show us our interest areas...where we think we could/would excel. That's good info! Thanks for the congrats!

Rolynn Anderson said...

Leah, glad to have you chime in. If two in our Rose patch end up making a living writing, You and Jannine will be our shining stars. Keep us up on what works in you writing -as-a-living goal!

Brenda Whiteside said...

The premise for your book is fascinating and sure to be a page turner. I agree with Vonnie in that dreams change as we age. The worst thing is to not be sorry for what you've done but what you haven't done. Getting that book published was one. I'm still old fashioned in that I'd like to walk into a major brick and mortar book store and see my book on the shelf. And then there are dreams I have for others...ridiculous since I have no control over that, but then dreams are often out of our control.

Rolynn Anderson said...

Brenda, you hit on another dream of mine...to see my books shelved (five or ten of 'em!) in a bookstore. I wonder if it will ever happen!

Diane Burton said...

Sorry I'm late responding, Rolynn. What an intriguing set up. Can't wait to read this book. I'm so glad I started writing when I did--20+ years ago. I could've thought I was too old and just said forget it. My mantra is "if not now, when?" Best wishes on your new release.