Monday, March 20, 2017

In Honor of Women

                         March is Women's History Month


Here is a link to an excellent website listing some great women. Pick a name and get to reading. The list is certainly not all inclusive but it's a start...
https://www.thoughtco.com/biographies-of-women-3528344


Below are a few suggestions to get you started.

Portrait of Nancy Astor, about 1926Nancy Astor, First Woman to get a seat in the British House of Commons.


Harriet Tubman
     Harriet Tubman, Led over 300 slaves to freedom through the Underground Railway

Hyperpyron of Alexios I KomnenosAnna Comnena (Komnene) Byzantine Princess and reputedly the first woman to write a book on history.

Nefertiti, Queen of Egypt Egyptian relief of Akhenaten and Nefertiti holding their daughters, 14th century BCE


Emma Goldman mug shot
Mug shot of Emma Goldman, anarchist, an ardent proponent of birth control and free speech, a feminist, a lecturer and a writer.

Oprah Winfrey, 2010First Black syndicated host of a talk show and first black woman billionaire.


In the center: Dowager Empress of China, Cixi. In front of her: Empress Xiao Ding Jing.
Empress Cixi (Tz'u-hsi) Contrary to tradition and policy, she took power as Empress in China

Sonia Sotomayor Attends Formal Investiture Ceremony At U.S. Supreme CourtSonia Sotomayor, first Hispanic justice on the Supreme Court.

Fascinating women - and there are so many more. Which historical woman is your inspiration or favorite?

REMullins author of vampire/romance novels



IT'S A WONDERFUL UNDEAD LIFE
VAMPIRE IN THE SCRYING GLASS
A VAMPIRE TO BE RECKONED WITH
and coming soon: COLD HEARTED VAMPIRE

Amazon
The Wild Rose Press

Contact me at:  Facebook or remullins.com

12 comments:

Angela Adams said...

Great post--Thanks for sharing!

Leah St. James said...

Great list, RE! I always admired Shirley Chisholm, first black US Congresswoman. She represented one of the New York districts around the '70s and '80s, I think.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

What a great post. Loved the mug shot. I admire women who shine in a male dominated field. Take the British royalty through the years...Queen Elizabeth I, Queen Victoria, and the current Queen. And I get a kick out of Germany Prime Minister Angela Merkel. Remember Margaret Thatcher? She carried her kohonas in her purse.

Margo Hoornstra said...

There are so many great women, and more to come. For good reason. At the risk of dating myself, always remember dance partners Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. She did every move he did, backwards and in heels!

Rolynn Anderson said...

I'd pick Margaret Sanger, who opened the first birth control clinic and went to prison for it. Did you know at one point, she went on a hunger strike and was force-fed? We owe this woman, for sure. The great group of suffragettes, fought our battles early on....we stand on their shoulders, as well. (Closer to home: do you know that Sisters of Crime, the author group, to which I belong, came about because women crime writers had no power? Male writers still get more cred from the big reviewers, so this inequity isn't over.)

Brenda Whiteside said...

There are many great women. My favorite I discovered in history in the sixth grade...Jeannne D'Arc. In your list, I found it amusing you didn't put a name on Ophrah. I guess we all know who she is!!

remullins said...

Oops, Brenda, that was an oversight on my part. Though you are right and Oprah really doesn't need an introduction.
Thanks to all for the kind comments. I'm currently in Colorado visiting my oldest son.

Jannine Gallant said...

I remember when my older daughter was in second grade, the kids had to pick a famous person to portray. She chose Abigail Adams, and I learned a whole lot about the woman right along with Tara while she was rehearsing for the program. She (and so many other colonial women) was a powerhouse who helped shape this country. Yet the men tend to get all the glory as founding fathers...

Alison Henderson said...

Great list! May I add one more? The library at my college (Vassar) has a spectacular stained-glass window featuring Elena Cornaro Piscopia, a young Venetian who had previously been denied the Doctor of Theology degree as a woman, receiving her doctorate in philosophy from the University of Padua. She is thought to be the first woman to earn this degree in European history.

Alicia Dean said...

Definitely a list of admirable women. Well-done! Thanks for sharing.

Andrea Downing said...

I think of the women novelists who often had to take a man's name to be published, like thew two Georges. and then, of course, there are the Bronte sisters, Mary Shelley and dear Jane. They paved the way for us gals.

Diane Burton said...

Great list of accomplished women. I was so impressed by the Women's Rights Museum National Park in Seneca, NY that I incorporated it into my road trip book, One Red Shoe. Interestingly, 2 great powers (Britain and Germany) have women prime ministers. And the U.S. never has.