Thursday, March 2, 2017

WILDE THING and more Pioneer Adventures by Jannine Gallant


I know, I know! I've been talking on and on about this book releasing for a while now. Well, you can finally get your copy! This story is special to me because it's set mostly in Tahoe in the winter. Since I'm currently enduring the biggest winter we've had in...well, as long as I can remember, and I've lived here 31 years, you can get a taste of what life in snow country is like...vicariously.


That's Ginger on the pile of snow that is currently my front yard!

Remember my post about pioneer life with no power for five days? Well, to add insult to injury, the pump for our Timberland (that's my neighborhood where my heroine also lives) well went out. Three days with no running water! You'd think it would be easy to melt snow into water, right? Wrong! The stuff that was falling when the disaster occurred was super dry. I put a pan of snow on the stove, and it evaporated. Perrrrrrfect! I am, however, a quick learner. I seeded the pot with a little water then add scoops of snow to melt slowly. A full dishpan gave me about a half a pot of water. We had bottled water for drinking and cooking, but my snow melt was for washing dishes and flushing toilets...and when I couldn't stand it any longer, washing my hair in the sink. If you've ever had a hankering to experience life in the good old days before modern conveniences, I'm here to tell you it isn't as romantic as it sounds.

A beautiful day after the storm.

However, I survived. My hero and heroine almost didn't a few times during the course of their adventure. And when it comes to their relationship, Hannah is determined to keep Tripp at arm's length. Read on to see what I mean...


   Her hand stilled over the tomato she was slicing as he squeezed by her to set the glasses on the counter. Ignoring the sizzle of energy his body contact produced, she added lettuce to the sandwiches, plated them, then pulled a bag of grapes out of the refrigerator. “There you go. Lunch in under five minutes.”
   “Successful, smart, hot and efficient.”
   She slid onto the stool next to him. “I’m simply amazing. The eighth wonder of the world.”
   “Hannah?”
   She paused with her sandwich halfway to her mouth. “Hmm?”
   “I was a complete idiot back when you were in college. If I had half a brain, I would have been smart enough to ask you out all those years ago. Everything you say makes me smile.” He popped a grape into his mouth. “Your dry sense of humor is a huge turn-on.”
   “Good to know, but I’m still not going to date you.”
   “We’ll see about that. I’m afraid you’ve ruined me for lesser women. Every time a girl hits on me, I’m going to judge her by my new Hannah-meter.”
   She choked on her sandwich. Her eyes watered as he pounded her on the back until she stopped coughing.
   A concerned green gaze met hers. “You okay?”
   “Yes.” She let out a long breath. “I don’t know where to begin…with the Hannah-meter or the girls hitting on you part of that statement.”
   He shrugged. “What? Am I supposed to pretend like they don’t?”
   “No wonder Eden was in a tizzy when she found out we had dinner together. The women apparently line up to sleep with you.”
   He grinned. “Not an actual line. Too much pushing and shoving for that.”
   She smiled back. “Tripp?”
   “Yes?”
   “You make me laugh, too, even if you do have an incredibly inflated ego.” She pulled a grape off the bunch and twirled it between her fingers. “A Hannah-meter, huh? I don’t want to brag, but if an IQ test is part of the process, you might as well go join a monastery because you’re not going to be getting much action.”
   He let out a resigned sigh. “That high, huh?”
   She nodded. “I’m afraid so.”
   “In that case, I’ll have to keep working on you since one thing’s for certain.”
   Her breath caught in her throat, and her heart beat a little faster when he laid a hand over hers. “What’s that?”
   “I’m definitely not cut out to be a monk.”

If you want to read more about Tripp and Hannah, pick up WILDE THING at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Apple iBooks, or KOBO or check out my website. Thanks for stopping by, and happy reading!

19 comments:

Margo Hoornstra said...

Never before have two people deserved each other more. Best of luck. Glad your water is back on!

Leah St. James said...

Uncle! Uncle! The thought of having to melt SNOW to wash my hair...I can't stand it! I hope spring is on the way for you, Jannine! Got my copy of the new book and can't wait to start reading. Congratulations!

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Our power was off yesterday for over nine hours. While it got me out of cooking supper, it made for a dark house when we got home. Even so, we had water. We're thinking of investing in a generator since Calvin's heart monitor has to download every night and requires electricity and a modem to do that. Loved your excerpt and the easy banter between the two. Simply great!

Rolynn Anderson said...

Jannine, happy release of WILDE THING! And thanks for the teaser excerpt-nice work on the banter. As for the lack of water...I'm thinking you were lucky you had snow! This drought here in CA (now pretty much over), made us all think about the potential lack of water. Scary concept! Anyway, I'm glad for the heavy snow pack for everyone...thanks for contributing to it in your neck of the woods!

Jannine Gallant said...

Margo, they definitely do deserve each other!

Leah, I don't think this winter will ever end. There's more snow in the forecast. I hope you enjoy Wilde Thing!

Vonnie, I love writing fun dialogue like this. Thank you. We've thought about getting a generator but never have. They're pretty darn expensive!

Jannine Gallant said...

Thanks, Rolynn. Oh, we've definitely contributed our fair share of snow. I think we're at over 150% of normal. Crazy!

Brenda Whiteside said...

Jannine, you'll go to any length to research a book, won't you? How did you pull it off? I bet the your neighbors didn't enjoy the experiment! Book sounds great as always.

Jannine Gallant said...

Funny, Brenda. I may have tried to kill off my characters, but I never took away their power and water. I'm not that mean!

Margo Hoornstra said...

Good point, Brenda. Knowing Jannine, she probably did have a hand in all the maladies in the name of research. Fess up, woman, some of us know the truth! ;-)

Jannine Gallant said...

Haha, Margo. Maybe I should revert back to writing historicals since I have so much firsthand experience about what life was really like in the good old days!

Brenda whiteside said...

You know how we're told at workshops to keep raising the stakes for our characters. Maybe you found a way, Jannine.

Andrea Downing said...

When I lived in Nigeria I quickly learned it was far easier to live without power than water. Now at my house I have a well so at any sign of extended power loss to the pump such as a hurricane, I leave!! Good luck with the book😃

Alison Henderson said...

Wilde Thing is next up on my Kindle! Can't wait. I told OG (who has no sense of adventure at all about power outages) about your water situation. I can't even imagine.

Jannine Gallant said...

Brenda, good idea. Maybe I will give my characters a power outage in my current WIP. Gotta keep them on their toes!

Andrea, our neighborhood had 800 gallons in the tank when the pump stopped working. It was amazing how fast that water disappeared. I know a few people left then charged the water company for hotel rooms. Honestly, that thought never even occurred to me!

Jannine Gallant said...

Alison. I can't wait to hear what you think! As for the outages, water was worse than power. My sense of adventure has given up, too.

Diane Burton said...

We had a well when I was growing up. I remember when electrical outages meant the pump didn't work and no water. Imagine one toilet for 9 people and no running water. Maybe it's better if you don't try. Jannine, you have indeed had quite a winter with all that snow. We were gone (from Michigan) for 5 weeks and the guy who was supposed to plow our driveway had no work. Best wishes on your new release. Sounds like a great story.

Jannine Gallant said...

Thanks, Diane. And what do you know, it's snowing again!

Alicia Dean said...

Oh my gosh...I can't imagine!! Hoping things turn around quickly, weather-wise. I love snow, but I would NOT enjoy being without water or electricity. I'm reading Wild One now and loving it!

Jannine Gallant said...

Yay, glad to hear that, Ally!