Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Judging the Golden Heart by Barbara Edwards

I agreed to judge the RWA Golden Heart contest this year.

Judging contests has dropped off my radar for a couple years. My RWA chapter stopped running our contest and I didn’t feel motivated to help other contests. 

Judging a contest is work. And an ability to distance yourself. You can’t judge a story over using an old plot line. Or an era you don’t care for. Or a hero who isn’t your idea of heroic.

I volunteered because I’ve been in a rut. I wanted to see what others were doing, if one or more had found that certain style or idea. I wanted to be enchanted.

So maybe i haven’t found that one, but I am pleased by the quality of the entries. Nice plots, love story, good characters and enjoyable to read. So different from past entries that lacked formatting, spell-check or an engrossing story.

I don’t know how others will judge these, but I’m glad I volunteered.

Have you judged recently? What did you find?


Check out my Historical Romance, Another Love

Link: http://a.co/1a33tKq

Some promises are made to be broken.
Caught in a web of political intrigue, graft and threats to a beloved child, Meg Warren and Drew Larkin hunt the men threatening the downfall of President Cleveland and the economic fabric of America. From a poor farm to the ostentatious world of New York’s elite, they sift lies, discover trust and an attraction they cannot resist. The last thing they expect to find is a love worth more than gold.
Check www.barbaraedwards.net for more excerpts
Excerpt:

Meg quivered like a trapped bird in his arms. Her slender bones were as fragile and delicate as the lace edging her collar. Alarm widened her eyes.
"How can you prove your innocence? I can think of a way.”
 His mouth locked over hers, smothering her protest. His tongue probed the seam between her lips and she moved head back. He instantly slipped his hand to the back of her head to hold her still. His tongue coaxed.
Her thick hair loosened from its knot. The heavy length cascaded over her shoulders and down her back. Drew groaned when the silken tresses brushed his hands. His fingers twined in the softly scented curls. He tugged gently. Upon her gasp, his tongue surged between her lips.
Her hands stilled, then she caught his lower lip with her teeth and bit down, hard. She whirled away to face him from the other side of the small room. If he thought she looked regal before, now she looked magnificent. A Greek goddess, breasts uplifted with pride and rage, her hair flowing like dark water over her slim shoulders.
She pointed an accusing finger at him and he fully expected a bolt of lightening to char him to a cinder.
"I will not prove anything by going to bed with you," she cried.


"Quote." – Pat Potter, award winning author calls Another Love…“A real page turner with wonderful characters and a unique plot. You can’t miss with this one.”

Review from Romantic Times Magazine **** 1/2 (four and one-half stars)



Please follow, friend or like me. I love to hear from my readers.
Amazon Author’s Page http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B003F6ZK1A


15 comments:

Leah St. James said...

Good topic, Barbara. I've judged for the Golden Heart in the past, as well as my chapter's contests. I was amazed how little I had to go on for the RWA contest. If I recall correctly, all I had to do was turn in a score. I kept my notes for about six months, expecting them to come back for more! But for the chapter contest we were given a score sheet where we graded multiple categories, with examples and suggestions for improvement! It was a LOT of work but I figured it gave the author some decent feedback...and I got a really good outline for editing/judging my own writing.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

I used to do a lot of judging, too, but haven't these last few years. I'm glad you've enjoyed the process. Your historical sounds very good!

Rolynn Anderson said...

Because I was an English teacher for 23 years, I try to keep my days of responding to others' work minimal. Been there...definitely done a lot of that! But I did/will judge for my online chapter, FTHW. A good group, the one that set me up with JL as a mentor. Used their critique group years ago...etc. Anyway I wanted to do my part...and judging is what I do. My biggest 'judging' job is editing all three of my brother's non-fiction books on certain people and moments in history. Much bigger task than I ever imagined!

Jannine Gallant said...

I've never entered or judged a contest. Not on my radar, but maybe I'm missing out. I just don't seem to have enough time to do anything but work, write, and promote lately. Reading for fun isn't happening.

Brenda Whiteside said...

I've judged a few. I was particularly unhappy with RWA. Next to no guidelines which is why I only entered once when I saw how they do it. I've had better direction in smaller contests. But I'm with Jannine--I just haven't had the time in recent history.

Margo Hoornstra said...

I did that a few times. It is nice to see what's going on in the world every once in a while. Best of luck with you own work too.

Barbara Edwards said...

I had the same experience. I like a score sheet that details the writing.

Barbara Edwards said...

Thanks for the compliment, Vonnie. I think there are only so many hours in the day and our writing takes priority.

Barbara Edwards said...

Hi Rolynn, I would think judging for family is tough.

Barbara Edwards said...

Hi Jannine,
You're right. there needs to be spare time to fit it in.

Barbara Edwards said...

Hi Brenda, it's been so long I forgot the lack of detailed guidelines. I have to judge on what I like. weird.

Barbara Edwards said...

Hi Margo, It has been interesting. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the work

Diane Burton said...

I don't like to judge the RWA contests. For the past 15 years, I've judged the RITA. Not this year. I'm done. I prefer chapter contests where I can help writers. I always try to find something good to say--even in the most amateurish. I keep remembering something Cathy Linz once said about not killing someone's dream. With the RWA contests, you can only give a number score. So, I judge 2 or 3 chapter contests a year. I do enjoy reading the imagination of the entrants. And I like encouraging talent.

Barbara Edwards said...

Hi Diane, That's why I like our chapter contest. I doubt I'll do this one again.

Alicia Dean said...

I just contests fairly often. I'm glad you had a good experience. I enjoy judging them, not only do I like helping out, but I think it helps me grow as a writer.