Friday, May 23, 2014

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly; Another Perspective by Margo Hoornstra

Shamelessly stealing this idea from fellow Rose, Alicia Dean. This one's with a twist.

The Good: (I think) The opening of my latest completed work - STOLEN TRUST.

"Police! Stop right there! Put your hands where we can see them!"

Jenny Reynolds froze. A blinding white light flashed in her eyes. Blinking in the glare, she did exactly as she was told. Her purse dropped to the ground with a thud.

She raised her hands above her head, fingers splayed open. "What's going on?" Heart thundering, breathing rapid, her body snapped into survival mode. "What do you want with me?"

"We'll ask the questions. Is this your storage locker?"

"Yes. Well, not mine that I own." She struggled to grasp what was happening. "This is the storage locker I rented yesterday."

Maybe they aren't from the police after all.

If this was a robbery attempt, they could take whatever they wanted and leave her alone.

"There's nothing stored in here yet, but I have some money in my purse." Extending her right leg, she started to toe the bag over to whoever held the freaking bright light on her.

"Don't move!"

"Okay." Trying to stay immobile, her right arm dipped slightly to regain her balance. She retracted her leg. "Doing my best not to move here."


The Bad: Same opening before my CP, Jannine Gallant, got a hold of it.

Jenny Reynolds pulled the truck up to her recently rented storage locker and slammed the door as she stepped out on the pavement. Before bringing over her furniture and other belongings, it'd be a good idea to check out the space in person. Quickly. Early spring evenings like this turned dark in a hurry. Plus, a sky full of clouds blacked out any potential moonlight. Bent down to grab the long metal handle, the overhead door rolled open for her with surprising ease. Feeling along the wall for a light switch, she worked her way into the murky interior.

"Police! Stop right there! Put your hands where we can see them!"

A bright white light flashed in her eyes to nearly blind her. Blinking at the glare, she did exactly as she was told. Her purse dropped to the ground with a quiet thud. She raised her hands above her head, fingers splayed open.

Her body snapped into survival mode, heart thundering, breathing shallow and rapid, while she struggled to comprehend what was happening.

They said they were from the police. Which meant the aren't here to hurt me. Right? "What do you want with me?"

"We'll ask the questions. Is this your storage locker?"

"Yes. Well, not mine that I own it. This is the storage locker I rented. Yesterday, in fact." Maybe they aren't from the police after all. The whole thing is just a ploy to get me off guard.

She'd lived in Detroit for most of her life and was well aware crime could happen anywhere. Even so close to her own backyard.

"What do you want?" If this was a robbery attempt, they could take whatever she had and leave her alone. "There's nothing stored in here yet, but I have some money in my purse." Extending her right leg, she started to toe the bag over to whoever held the freaking bright light on her.

"Don't move!"

Trying to stay immobile, her right arm dipped slightly to regain her balance  as she retracted her leg. "Okay. Doing my best to not move here."

The Ugly: My first attempt at novel writing. A sweeping historical saga titled - BEYOND YEARNING. The first chapter has been blessedly lost. As I recall, the opening line was "Erin stared dejectedly out the window." What follows is the start of chapter two. Heroine Erin is a hapless ward of distant relatives Abigail and Jason.

"Get downstairs right now, Girlie!" she snapped. Erin almost laughed out loud at Abigail's appearance. Her ball gown of red velvet hung from her bony shoulders and feeble breasts. Her graying hair was pulled back severely from her face and caught in a red net which vied with her dress for brightness. Her beaked nose and dark eyes made her look like an owl perched on a headless body.

Abigail raised a hand to strike her, but Erin skittered out of the way and down the stairs. Jason stood at the foot of the stairs, a bright blue coat fighting to cover his enormous girth. White silk stockings covered bulging calves, meeting white breeches over which hung his huge belly. His balding head was covered by a sloppy wig. He licked saliva across his purple lips as Erin approached.

"Lovely, My Dear, lovely," he puffed. He watched the staircase as he spoke. His grubby hand reached out to grab Erin's slim waist just as Abigail came bobbing down the stairs.

"Come along!" she screeched.

That's all I'm going to subject you to today. Though there is more, about 300 pages more. If anyone's interested in reading the rest, email me privately. Yeah, I'm not going to hold my breath.

Though I do have to say, I still like that title.

My days to blog here are the 11th and 23rd. For more about me and my stories, please visit my website.


14 comments:

Leah St. James said...

Great story opening especially after the rewrite (with the help of a talented CP)! I give you a lot of credit, Margo, for pulling out your newbie manuscripts. I'm afraid to look at mine! :-)

Margo Hoornstra said...

Thanks, Leah. I do have a talented CP. Pulling out old manuscripts keeps me humble, very, very humble.

Jannine Gallant said...

OMG, love the descriptions in that first attempt. Nearly choked on my coffee. Purple lips? Really? As the saying goes, you've come a long way, baby!

Margo Hoornstra said...

Jannine. Always a kick when I manage to make you 'almost' choke. Something for me to shoot for, to make you choke for real. In a good way of course. Only temporarily! Then recover yourself quickly. LOL you missed the typo in my title. Gotta go change that!

Alicia Dean said...

You are welcome to steal from me, Margo, even though you didn't ask first ;) Your post was much more entertaining, though, so kudos for that. Fabulous opening. WOW! I was in the moment for sure. And, while the first attempt wasn't horrible, Jannine certainly did help you make it more active, more showing. It sucked...me right in. Haha, get it? Great job to both of you. Not only is she a great CP, you are a great writer, or you wouldn't have had anything decent to start with, AND, you wouldn't have been able to follow her suggestions and improve it so much.

I agree, LOL, you have come a long way, baby. I need to dig out my first MS. It actually won a few contests, but I bet if I look at it now, I will cringe! (Well, I have the first romance I wrote, at age 11, so maybe I should count that as my first?)

Thank you for sharing your less than perfect versions, very brave, and it helps all of us realize that we can always improve!

Margo Hoornstra said...

Music to my ears, Alicia. You sure did bolster one writer's confidence when I needed it most. Glad you thought it sucked....you right in. I'll have to copy that idea of yours to use sometime too. ;-) Can't think of any other reason to keep some of my original manuscripts except for laughs. We've all been there!

Melissa Keir said...

Awesome! I love seeing how books change over time and so do authors! I wish you all the best with this!!

Diane Burton said...

You are to be commended for listening to your critique partner. Hard to do sometimes. I definitely like the edited copy. Good luck with that ms.

Margo Hoornstra said...

Thanks, Melissa. I agree. Sometimes it seems for me there's no where to go but up. ;-)

Margo Hoornstra said...

Thanks, Diane. It took me a while, but I do listen MOST of the time. Though I have to say, she does the same. Hmmm. Old dog, new tricks and all that!

Susan Coryell said...

Margo--Wow! Could we all use a CP like yours. Thanks for the comparison--most authors never reveal the revision process like this!

Donna Michaels said...

Great rewrite, Margo! Your first attempt wasn't horrible, but it sure shines now. I've had many, many similar rewrites. Goes to show dialog is a very powerful tool in our arsenal! Nice post!

Margo Hoornstra said...

Susan. Hope my sharing was helpful. I know it helps me.

Margo Hoornstra said...

Donna. Yes sir. When in doubt get your characters talking. Thanks for the compliiment on the rewrite.