Sunday, May 18, 2014

The Good, the Bad, and the Beautiful! by Jannine Gallant


The Beautiful: That's right, the beautiful! Nothing the least bit ugly about this cover created by our very own Alison Henderson for my new release, An Uncertain Destiny. Thank you, Alison! Love, love, love it! Despite the fact that there isn't a bare-chested man in sight! This baby is a historical set in Salem, Massachusetts, the heart of Puritan New England. No way I could wrap my mind around a naked man for the cover! I went for dramatic instead.

The Bad: Okay, not that bad, but we're going with a theme here. After a year of shopping this book to publishers, my agent gave up a couple of months ago and handed back my rights. No one would touch it with the proverbial ten foot pole. All the editors seemed to be in agreement however. They loved the characters, were intrigued by the plot and thought my writing was excellent. (Who am I to argue. LOL) BUT, they didn't have a clue what to do with this book. They all made it clear the time period would never sell. No Dukes, no Scottish Lards, no old west cowboys in sight. Yep, they say they want new and different, but when you give it to them...

The Good: I have to admit I wasn't all that bummed to get this one back. I wrote the original version over 20 years ago! Yes, I was still a child at the time--let's go with that. LOL It was long past time to get this book out to readers, and quite frankly, I've edited it over and over and over...until the thought of more edits through a publisher was enough to make me want to rip my hair out! AND, I had the joy of hunting down the perfect cover images for this book! Even better, the formatting wasn't such a problem this time. Imagine that!

So, here it is, the result of years of labor. I also have to thank Margo for all her time spent editing this one, as well. You're the best! Any mistakes (and there better not be any!) are mine. So, if you're a fan of historical romances with complicated, action-packed plots and characters filled with angst, you'll love this one. Help me prove all those publishers wrong and show them the book will sell!

Here's the blurb:


Haunting visions have plagued Megan Pendrake for years, a dire promise of a turbulent future. When Megan and her brother are forced to flee England aboard a ship bound for the colonies, trouble looms. In 1692, Salem, Massachusetts is a hotbed of suspicion and persecution where the mere hint of witchcraft is a death sentence. Remaining in Salem is courting disaster, but Megan's heart won't allow her to leave the man she has grown to love.

Nicholas Thayer is mesmerized by the beautiful, unconventional young woman who boards his ship posing as a cabin boy. But his future is predetermined, including a fiancĂ©e waiting for him at home. When Megan faces inconceivable peril, Nicholas must make the ultimate choice between family and faith or a love he can’t deny. But will he be able to save them both from An Uncertain Destiny?


Pick up your copy on Amazon. Find all my books on my Website.

15 comments:

Liz Flaherty said...

This cover is gorgeous! And the time period is too unexplored, so I think it's a great choice.

Jannine Gallant said...

Thanks, Liz. I fully agree, and the time period makes for some great drama!

Margo Hoornstra said...

It really is one fabulous book! What I truly believed the very first time I read it. The name Kathleen Woodiwiss came to mind. Now-after how many edits did you say-it is much, much better. This one is going to go places!!

Jannine Gallant said...

One can only hope! Thanks, Margo.

Alison Henderson said...

I was thrilled to be part of bringing this book to readers! (Especially since you did all the hard work of finding the right images.) I can't wait to read it.

Jannine Gallant said...

Thanks, Alison. I love finding images but don't have a clue how to turn them into a cover. You definitely have the knack for bringing them to life!

Diana Layne said...

I love this time period! And actually want to write books set in this time period, hope it does well for you, it sounds wonderful!

Diane Burton said...

Jannine, I love the cover, love the time period. I'm so intrigued I just downloaded it. Can't wait to read. I felt the same way you did about this book when one of my sci-fi romances sat on an editor's desk for 18 months--after she requested it! I am so glad I self-pubbed it. (More about that when it's my turn on the 30th. :))

Jannine Gallant said...

Ha, my point is proven! Readers really do want something new and different. Diana, if you do jump into this period, let me know. Diane, I hope you enjoy the book. Thanks!

Monique DeVere said...

Hi, Jannine,

The premise of An Uncertain Destiny sounds very intriguing. Congrats on the new release. I'm sure it's going to do amazing! :)

Jannine Gallant said...

Thanks so much, Monique!

Alicia Dean said...

Hi Jannine, so sorry I'm late. I always love your posts, and I meant to stop by yesterday, but I didn't make it. SO happy for you. Love the cover and the premise. I'm not normally into historicals, but this one, I will have to check out. Isn't it annoying that they claim they want new and different but are afraid to take a chance with it? Unexplored time periods should be very desirable...ugh! Congrats, my dear!

Donna Michaels said...

Great cover and wonderful premise, Jannine! I look forward to reading it!

Leah St. James said...

I'm sorry I'm late, Jannine! This sounds like a terrific book, and I'm with everyone else on the cover. Love it. (I generally DON'T want bare-chested men on mine!)

Jannine Gallant said...

Thanks so much, ladies! Yes, it's irritating that big pubs are afraid to take on new periods! Personally I like new and different. Yep, the cover is spectacular. Hope everyone enjoys it!