Saturday, May 24, 2014

The Bad You Love To Hate by Brenda Whiteside

Last time, I wrote about horrible bosses so I'm up for the good, the bad and the ugly. But I want to write about bad only - because I'm really getting into the bad guy (or lady). Until my current series, The Love and Murder Series, I'd never written a villain. I'd had a few unsavory characters or villains written with humor sprinkled in my stories, but nothing like my current series of bad dudes - and one dudette.

Book one, The Art of Love and Murder, released on May 2nd. Since my bad guy in my first book is cultured, educated, and elderly, I guess you could say I cut my teeth on him. He's likeable and not suspect - except by the reader. He dresses nice and is handsome, doesn't stink or use fowl language. A suave bad guy was fun to write because his badness came from within.

The second book in the series, Southwest of Love and Murder, is months from release.I really love my creep of a bad guy in this second book. This villain is the exact opposite of my cultured bad guy in book one. But I encountered a problem with his language. I'd nearly finished the book when  my lack of honesty smacked me up side the head. By tempering his language, I was holding him down, keeping him from his full nasty potential. I'd never written some of those four letter words. Comically (as I see it now) I made up some words to keep from using the real ones. Yeah, funny. Once I stopped that nonsense and let my character speak his mind, his full nasty self took over. Much better for the story.

I'm writing the third book now and venturing into a whole new villain - female and politically dynamite. My challenge is to let her have her rein and become the bad dudette to her fullest potential.



Although I didn’t start out to write romance, I’ve found all good stories have to involve complicated human relationships. I’ve also learned, no matter a person’s age, a new discovery is right around every corner. Whether humorous or serious, straight contemporary or suspense, all my books revolve around those two facts.

Visit Brenda at www.brendawhiteside.com.
She blogs on the 9th and 24th of every month at http://rosesofprose.blogspot.com
She blogs about prairie life and writing at http://brendawhiteside.blogspot.com/


11 comments:

Margo Hoornstra said...

Love your way with words, Brenda. 'lack of honesty smacked me up side the head'. Good stuff. Best of luck with the series.

Brenda Whiteside said...

Good morning, Margo! And thanks.

Ashantay said...

Enjoyed your post! Yes, I remember your asking about using four letter words in another post - so glad you allowed your villain full voice! Likable bad guys seem to be making a comeback--witness Loki in the Marvel comic adaptations. Hmm, think I need to write a smiling villain - a sexy, smiling villain...

Jannine Gallant said...

My bad guys have trended toward guys who think they're really normal and have excellent reasons for what they do. They can't see they're a few bricks shy of a full load. Makes for some fun in writing them! The language thing is always tough. Best of luck with sales, Brenda!

Brenda Whiteside said...

Ashantay - a smiling, sexy villain sounds delicious.

Jannine - funny - short of a full load but know exactly what you mean!

Alicia Dean said...

Ah yes, writing villains is SO much fun. Very wise to give them full rein. Sometimes you'll be surprised at what those evil men, and women, will do. That's my favorite part of suspense, the threat and uncertainty of the bad characters. Sounds like a great series, Brenda!

Brenda Whiteside said...

Thanks, Alicia.

Diane Burton said...

Villains have so many layers. The best ones are those who appear normal yet beneath are monsters.

Brenda Whiteside said...

Yes, I do like the normal but wacko kind. I did have fun with the wacko but insane one too.

Leah St. James said...

I love writing bad guys and girls, Brenda. So glad you're having fun with it!

Brenda Whiteside said...

Thanks, Leah!