Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Movies are memories by Barbara Edwards

Movies were my favorite entertainment as a child. Pre-computer, iPad, internet, it was the magic that lit up the world. Heroes were men like Burt Lancaster, John Wayne, Clark Gable, or Leslie Howard. Heroines were glamorous, exotic women who could dance and sing as well as act. Carmen Miranda, Dale Evans, Doris Day, and so many more made me wish to follow in their footsteps.
So many adventures filled the screen. Robin Hood in Sherwood Forest, Moses leading the Israelites from Egypt, and Scarlett O’Hara prevailing in Gone With the Wind are only a few.
The movies kept us entertained. The Saturday matinee had two full-length features, a cartoon, a funny short, sometimes a news report for only fifteen cents. No wonder the theater was crowded. The show changed on Saturday night and sometimes after church, we’d beg another admission from our parents and see the new movies.
There were no ratings like now. I think I was every movie produced for ten or twelve years. From Frankenstein’s Monster to Fantasia, I absorbed a world beyond my small town.
What does this have to do with ‘The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly?’
Not much unless you want to understand that I saw them all.
I still love those old movies. Many of them much more than what’s available now. I think I’ll look for ‘The Creature From the Black Lagoon tonight.
Please follow, friend or like me. I love to hear from my readers.
Amazon Author’s Page http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B003F6ZK1A



8 comments:

Margo Hoornstra said...

Even with the inundation of 'new' material these days, the classics still shine. What a time to grow up. And all for fifteen cents.

Jannine Gallant said...

There's a reason why they call them Oldies but Goodies!

Barbara Edwards said...

Hi Margo,
It did go up to a quarter eventually. Sigh.

Barbara Edwards said...

Thanks for dropping by, Jannine. I still love the movies.

Diane Burton said...

Although we didn't go to the movies as kids, I remember Sunday afternoon movies on TV hosted by Bill Kennedy. If you grew up in the Detroit-area, how's that for a blast from the past? We watched all the classics and some not-so-classic. My dad was a John Wayne fanatic so anytime one of his movies aired, it was on our TV. Thank goodness for VCRs and now DVDs. I can watch any movie I want over & over.

Alicia Dean said...

Ah, a blast from the past. I remember going to movies as a child too. We watched a lot of Elvis movies at The Chieftan theater. I also remember seeing movie like Billy Jack, Hell's Angels, and Then Came Bronson. Some of those were a little disturbing for young kids. I don't think my parents knew which ones we were seeing, necessarily. :) But yes, I LOVE the classics, Gone with the Wind is my favorite of all time. I love Lana Turner and Doris Day movies. Thank you for the trip down memory lane!

Barbara Edwards said...

Gosh, Diane, do you remember Hatari--It was my favorite for years.

Barbara Edwards said...

Hi Alicia, Glad you love the oldies, too. Our generation had the best.