Tuesday, May 13, 2014

GBU: if you garden, you have it all

I'm in the Midwest and we're smack in the middle of Prime Garden Season. We don't get much gardening time here, so we jump in with both feet when it's here.

The good: oh, the colors! After a winter of gray, white, and brown, the pink, purple, red, yellow, green -- GREEN GREEN GREEN -- there can't be enough green after so much gray and white.

The bad: the wind. Is it just me, or is it windier now? It seems like every day there's a few hours of wind, which makes it hard to work in the garden (I'm trying to lay newspaper and cover it with mulch to keep weeds down but with this wind ...)

The ugly: Now that the snow is gone, I can see what winter has wrought. I have a heavily wooded property, and there are huge branches down, lots of weeds springing up, and a few trees that really should come down.

But you know ... if I just wait a bit, the greenery will hide all the flaws. I need to keep that in perspective. April and November are the Between Months, when flaws are easily seen. Once the snow comes and green comes in, flaws are hidden again.

I can wait.

J L
Summer book out now!

5 comments:

Margo Hoornstra said...

It's not just you, it is windier around here these days. I like your hide the flaws thinking. It is nice to see green.

Jannine Gallant said...

Yep, green, green everywhere. After our dry winter, I fear it won't last long though.

Diane Burton said...

I can't wait to plant annuals. BUT, I just know when I do we'll get frost. I would sure hate to lose all my hard work. So I'm waiting a bit. And yes it's been windy here, too.

Leah St. James said...

I love the rainy spring because it makes it easier to pull the weeds. :-) Have fun with your garden!

Alicia Dean said...

I wish I was the gardening type, but I most definitley have the black thumb of death...have fun in your garden!