Sunday, July 14, 2013

Full Swing

Summer is in full swing for me now. Being a teacher, it took me a few weeks to realize that I didn't need to corral the neighborhood kids into a straight line and lead them into a classroom somewhere. They don't want to learn about isosceles triangles on a sunny, hot July afternoon. They just don't.

I now have the balance of doing some school prep and a ton of writing just right. I don't wake up in a panic, thinking I'm late for classes. I've stopped keeping paperclips in my pockets.

I no longer answer to "Mrs. DePetrillo."

Instead, I've taken up a permanent residence in an Adirondack chair on my patio. My laptop and The Werewolf are my only colleagues each day. While I talk to both regularly, neither reply, which is good. It means I haven't lost my marbles yet.

At least not all of them. There's still time.

I've sprinkled in the perfect amount of socializing too. I've had beach dates. I've met people for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I've gone to concerts. (Harry Connick, Jr. most recently. Sigh.) I've weekended in Vermont and had a beach house overnighter with some girlfriends.

I've socialized with fictional characters too. Lots of them. They enjoy visiting me, telling me their tales, insisting I write their stories. The summer is so productive for me as a writer. I almost forget what it's like being a teacher. Almost.

I'm currently polishing a short story called One Night in The Labyrinth. It's about a graphic novelist and a toy designer who meet at a Comic Con-like event. Both Star Wars fans and in touch with their inner children due to their jobs, fall in love they must. (Say that last part in your best Yoda voice.) I'm hoping to submit this story to a publisher who had a call for one night affairs. If it doesn't get picked up, I'll self-publish it. I've had a blast writing it and look forward to the next project.

The good news is there's plenty of summer left, which means plenty of writing still to do!

How do you like to spend your summer?

Toodles,
Chris
www.christinedepetrillo.weebly.com Adult Romance
www.christymajor.weebly.com YA Romance
www.christineteaches.weebly.com The Writing Teacher 

4 comments:

Jannine Gallant said...

Best of luck with your projects. For me, summer is the opposite. Kids are around, and there's no peace and quiet at home to write!

Margo Hoornstra said...

My summers used to be like Jannine's. Not my favorite season. THEN. Pressure's on though to produce. Good luck with your story!

Barbara Edwards said...

Sounds like a great plot. I's like to read it, so an editor must. LOL
Good luck.

Alison Henderson said...

Sounds like a lovely summer, Christine. Enjoy!