Friday, July 26, 2013

Fortuitous -- or fate?

If you look back over the course of your life, I'll bet you're surprised by some of the turns you've taken. Or at least, I am.

I started off in college at one school, but it didn't work out. So I ended up at another school after a disastrous job (and the second school was the only one in session at the time). I met a future husband there, with whom I went to Pittsburgh.

Once there, he left me for another woman and returned to our home state. I stayed, and eventually met my current husband. There's no way I would have ended up in Pittsburgh except for that (now that I see it this way) fortuitous set of circumstances.

When my current husband I decided to leave Pittsburgh, my husband decided to send out a few resumes to a few different companies in a few different cities and see what happened. He got 3 job offers in Minneapolis. Okay, guess we're moving. We thought we'd just see if we could sell our house. It sold in 24 hours. Oops. So I guess we have to move sooner rather than later.

When we moved to MN, we were in a temporary apartment. But that building caught on fire so we had to move. So we bought a house. But it didn't work out. So we started looking again and found the perfect house. But my husband was then transferred to Europe to work. I ended up moving us to the new house, then his assignment was shortened, and he was able to come home earlier than we thought. That year we moved 4 times.

But we stayed there for almost 19 years (a record for me; I've moved 28 times in my life, 13 in the last 30 years). Then we decided to move again and ... well, some of that story isn't so happy, but some of it is.

So here I am, 2 years after the move, and I wonder what sort of fortuitous events I'll look back on in another 20 years. My life has been something of a pinball machine with me ricocheting from one place to another. And it seems like just when I need it, I find a good cushion to keep me from tilting.

I hope that trend continues ....

J L
(28 books, 28 moves ... hmm.Is there a pattern here? I hope not, because I have a lot more books to write!)

3 comments:

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

I've moved 23 times in my life. The thought of doing it again give me hives. I'm thinking you learned early on to roll with the punches, to bend and adapt. Great post.

Jannine Gallant said...

Good grief - I guess I should consider myself lucky I've only moved a handful of times - all when I was young and single. I look at all the crap my husband and I have accumulated in nearly eighteen years of marriage and shudder at the thought of moving. You're a stronger woman than I am!

Margo Hoornstra said...

We've been in the same place for 35years now. Before that, I think I counted about 28 moves in my lifetime. Rolling with the punches is what it's all about, I guess.