Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Fellowship



By Diane Burton

The problem with being the blogger at the end of the month is that the posters who have gone before have taken all the good stuff. <g> Since this month’s theme(s) have all begun with the letter F, I wracked my brain trying to come up with something new, different, but appropriate. Then it hit me. The reason for this blogsite: fellowship.

I tend to view the word fellowship in connection with church membership. But when I checked the definition, fellowship also refers to a community of interest. One of its synonyms is camaraderie. And that’s what I’ve found in writers’ groups. We come from all over the world. We are of different social, marital, and economic status. We’re young, middle-aged, retired. (Notice, I didn't say old.)  Despite our differences, we have a common interest—writing. And that draws us together.

Writing is a solitary occupation. Yet, as humans, we crave interaction with others. We may closet ourselves when the writing is flowing or when we're on deadline and only come out of our caves for food, drink, or potty breaks. Think of the scene in Romancing the Stone after Joan Wilder types “The End” and goes looking for a tissue only to find sticky notes everywhere reminding her to buy tissues and t.p. Yep, that’s what it’s like.

When we emerge from our caves (aka office, converted bedroom, basement), we desperately need to talk to someone. Our spouses/children/BFFs, as supportive as they are, do not get our thrill of a great day’s/week’s writing the way another writer does. Or the satisfaction of completing a 100,000 word novel. Thank goodness for email and social media where we can post at two in the morning that “we did it.” As much as they love us, even our best friends don’t like celebratory phone calls in the middle of the night.

In the twenty years I’ve been seriously writing, I have met so many wonderful people through writers’ groups--foremost, Romance Writers of America and its affiliated chapters. My local chapter, Mid-Michigan RWA, inspires, bemoans our rejections, and celebrates our successes. And, when needed, kicks our butts when we're discouraged. The online community does the same—and we don’t have to wait for an entire month to get together.

Of all the benefits the writing community offers, the one I saved for last is the most important—friendship. The song “You’ve Got a Friend” certainly applies to writers’ groups in general and the group that makes up The Roses of Prose. I feel very fortunate to have made such good friends with some of the Roses and look forward to becoming friends with the others.


I blog here on the 8th and 30th of each month. On Mondays, I “muse” about life, writing, and whatever strikes my fancy on my blog: http://dianeburton.blogspot.com You can read excerpts from my books and other information on my website www.dianeburton.com

See you again on August 8th.

6 comments:

Jannine Gallant said...

I so agree, Diane. Yesterday I wrote 2000 words. That's huge for me as I consider 1000 words a good day. So I emailed my CP to share my accomplishment. When I told my husband, all I got was a blank stare. Usually it takes another writer to appreciate the little victories. I've found a lot of camaraderie among the rose.

Margo Hoornstra said...

So true, Diane, so true. I cherish those connections we are fortunate to have with each other. And while Jannine's CP might not provide an immediate response-life and all of that getting in the way-the'way to go' and 'yea!' are always there.

Diane Burton said...

Thanks for commenting, Jannine & Margo. I'm so glad I've found such good friends.

Betsy Ashton said...

I'm in that no-man's-land of editing and revising an earlier novel. No one in my family, not even my dearly beloved, understands the angst of the dreaded rewrite. But my Friends (another F word) here do.The support and fellowship we experience is wonderful. So proud to be part of this supportive group.

Barbara Edwards said...

How true. I've found the best friends in the world here.

Alicia Dean said...

Well said, Diane. Writers are a completely different breed of human beings, and no one understands us like another writer. I am truly honored and grateful for the many friends I've met along the way, and the outpouring of support and encouragement. Great post!