Sunday, July 21, 2013

Frustrated writer by Barbara Edwards



I admit to being impatient. I want what I want right now. So why did I decide to be a writer? Nothing is timely for an author. The right word eludes me, the character I thought I knew takes a weird action I can’t explain, and the plot twists until I can’t remember how to untangle it. It takes time to write a book. Lots of time and then it needs to be edited.
Don’t remind me what happens when I finally am able to submit it.
So I’m frustrated.
I’m waiting for the cover for my Christmas story, Journey of the Magi. Out of my control and frustrating as heck. I know I’ll probably love it, but I don’t want to wait. Oh my, I sound like a whiney child.  
Then there’s my third paranormal. It took me longer to finish than the first two combined. Why? That life stuff happened again.
Ancient Curse is with my editor. She loves it. We’re waiting for the reader to finish so she can send me a contract. Okay, so it’s been a couple months. Take a deep breath. Let it out slowly through your nose.  
Then it’s go through the entire process again. Why?
I love writing. I love sharing my stories with a growing audience. My heart thumps when I get a good review or compliment.
Is it worth it? Heck, yes.

Visit my website at http://www.barbaraedwards.net  


8 comments:

Jannine Gallant said...

One answer to the waiting game is self-publishing. You only have yourself to blame if things aren't moving along at a pace you like!

Diane Burton said...

LOL at Jannine's comment. Even if you self-publish, you still have to wait for the edits to come back from your freelance editor. You have to wait for the cover art because the freelance artist works for 2 or 3 small publishers. Yes, frustrating is the word for any publishing. Right now, I'm waiting to see the cover for my romantic suspense--esp. since this is an artist I've never worked with before. Great topic!

Barbara Edwards said...

Hi Janinne,
I can't imagine doing all that work myself. I would go out of my mind. You're a better man than I am. lol

Barbara Edwards said...

Hi Diane,
I haven't worked with this artist either. Can you hear me drumming my fingers on the desk?

Alison Henderson said...

Frustration does seem to be tha name of the writing game, Barabara. But I have to second Jannine's comments. By working together on our indie projects, we've retained much more control. I designed her covers (meeting her self-imposed deadlines), and she edited my book in record time. I designed my own cover, so the final publication date is up to me. It's a bit scary, but it feels good.

Barbara Edwards said...

Hi Alison,
I admire your accomplishments. Good for you.

Margo Hoornstra said...

I admire all of you who have the gumption to self publish. I wouldn't have the patience to learn so many new tricks. I'm having a hard time filling out the cover art information sheet for my latest contracted work. Sorry to be a day late here. Life and all got in the way!

Barbara Edwards said...

Hi Margo,
I don't self-pub. and I too envy their energy.