Saturday, July 13, 2013

A fling .... It's all how you define it ....

I had a Fling this week. I guess you could call it that.

Here's what I did: I took time off from my Day Job. Shocking, I know. Oh, I've had some time off here and there in the last few years, but every single time off time I took in the last few years has involved travel, either by car or by air. I love traveling by car (Road Trip!) and I hate traveling by air (Squeezed Trip!)


So this time I decided to stay home and have a vacation. And you know, I can't remember the last time I did that. I honestly can't remember.I took off half of July 3, July 5 and July 8, so I had really 5 days free.  I had 5 days to do whatever-the-hell I wanted to do. I mapped out each day and had a little Fling on each one. Some of the things I did:

  • I went out with a friend to visit her elderly relatives. Real exciting, hmm? But you know, our visit made their day. I cut some flowers from my garden to take with me, and they were so happy to see us (and the flowers). It's nice when something simple like a visit can totally brighten up a day. My friend and I did a little shopping afterward and I scored a marvelous wristlet. It says:

Believe
Become a possibilitarian.
Find Beauty in the small.
Embrace change.

  • I did a bit of shopping on my own and scored 2 great pairs of shoes (they were on sale and I have one of this brand which I adore, so 2 new pairs made perfect sense to me).
  • Went to some movies (Despicable Me ♥, After Earth so-so) then out to dinner.
  • Had a manicure
  • Did some gardening
  • Read a book (actually, re-read an old favorite)
  • Barbequed
 And you know what I did in between all of this? I wrote -- I wrote 3 chapters in my current WIP, which means I have 3 to go. I set a deadline for myself to finish it by July 4, but I had about 2 weeks of travel in there, so I pushed out the deadline to the end of July. Looks like it's on track.

As far as I'm concerned, this was one frivolous, free fling -- I'm already plotting another one, maybe in November around Thanksgiving. There's something to be said for free time!

J L
jayellwilson.com

3 comments:

Jannine Gallant said...

Isn't it nice to do what yo want instead of what you feel you have to when you're on a vacation? Good for you!

Diane Burton said...

What a great vacation! We need to take time for ourselves. I'm glad you did.

Margo Hoornstra said...

Nothing wrong with indulging yourself for a few days. And sounds like getting your wip back on track was a nice bonus!