Sunday, January 11, 2015

Let's Hear It For Tomorrow - With No Mistakes In It Yet by Margo Hoornstra


Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet? -- L. M. Montgomery  

Oh, yes, it is nice. Very nice. Fabulous really to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it . . . . .

Yet!

I don’t know about you, but mistakes should be my middle name. Not a tomorrow comes and goes that I haven’t made at least one error, whether big or small. Leaving the porch light on when I’m gone all day, entering the wrong amount in the checkbook, running out of gas when I ignore the little red light, missing an appointment because I didn’t write it down. You name it, I've probably done it a time or two.......wrong.

The same holds true for my writing. Having finished my latest book, actually lucky thirteen, I was eager to start something new. But what? My critique partner and fellow Rose, the wildly talented Jannine Gallant, came up with an idea. Some women win the lottery and how immediate riches changes their lives and leads them to love. An interesting premise that conjured up about a dozen different storylines in my head.

 

Starting out strong, I chose four of my favorites and wrote the first chapter of one book where I introduced the heroines who would carry the series. Then I gave one of them a flawed hero and off I went again – smack into chapter two, then three then four. That’s where I, rather my writing, hesitated, then sputtered, then finally stalled altogether.

But why? Whatever was wrong? I wasn’t that interested enough to go on, why would anyone else be? (With all due respect to Jannine, because her basic idea was a winner.)

Then it dawned on me. I’d made a mistake. I write romance, traditional romance. By definition – Romance is a narration of the extraordinary exploits of heroes, often in exotic or mysterious settings.

Ah-ha! The majority of romance readers are women. What was I offering? More women. Not a good way to honor my audience.

So then I came up with this.

 

Blood Brothers in Blue features four guys who attended the police academy together and became long-time friends. The dropout, the straight arrow, the movie star and the maverick. They all share a passion to protect and serve – each in their own unique way.

I kept the same basic storylines, from different points of view.

Once again I know exactly where my writing and I are going. Directly into tomorrow….…with no mistakes in it yet.

My days to blog here are the 11th and 23rd. For more about me and my stories, please visit my website

23 comments:

Rohn Federbush said...

There is hope in tomorrow, even for me. Thanks for the insight into idea culling.

Alicia Dean said...

I think you and I share the same middle name, Margo. :) I love hearing about how the idea developed, then sputtered. I also really love the idea for your latest project. Sounds fabulous!

Maris said...

Sounds like you found an idea that excites you, and that's what is important. There are lots of great ideas out there, but it's only the ones you fall in love with that will get your best. Looking forward to this new series.

Sandra Dailey said...

Glad you worked that out, Margo. Yes, all we want is a good story...but it must spin around a hot, I mean heroic, man.
Keep those ideas coming!

Diane Burton said...

Sometimes our critique partners can be pains in the rear. (all due respect to Jannine & Lana) Yet they keep us on the straight-and-narrow. I have a number (won't say how many) of incomplete stories that didn't have enough interest to keep me going. Good luck on this new series. Sounds great.

Jannine Gallant said...

Hey! In my defense, Margo was trying to come up with a tie to bind her heroines. I just threw out the lottery ticket idea. And this new hero tie went through a few incarnations before settling into its current format. I think you have a winner, melding the strongest of your already plotted out story lines into this new series. Just goes to show we all have to write what truly interests us to stay focused and productive! I'm expecting great things from this series.

Alison Henderson said...

Margo, I LOVE the premise for your new series. Of course, I loved Jannine's idea, too. So many different ideas can lead to wonderful stories, but you have to go with the ones that push your creative buttons or the result will be flat and boring.

Melissa Keir said...

I like how you changed the stories! Very cool. Good luck on your series. I think it sounds like a fun one to read and write!

Kara said...

One of my favorite quotes from Anne of Green Gables. I love the way you processed your concept. It sounds interesting. Great post!

MJ Schiller said...

We must be kindred spirits. I always love your posts! And the new series sounds totally hot...and it's not even written yet. I already want to buy them! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Margo Hoornstra said...

Rohn, there truly is always tomorrow.

Alicia.hope my series delivers. It's kinda nice to not be perfect, isn't it?

Margo Hoornstra said...

Thanks, Maris. I'm excited.

Margo Hoornstra said...

Sandra. True there are heroes and then there are heroes, right?

Margo Hoornstra said...

Oh no, Diane. My CP is NEVER one of those. Okay, mostly never. (We prefer driving force to bossy ;-) she has great ideas. This time I truly made it my own.

Margo Hoornstra said...

Jannine. Your input had so much to do with this series. Here's hoping it produces on your great things expectations. Thanks for the boost. Always welcome.

Margo Hoornstra said...

Alison. Guess the LAST thing I want to be is flat and boring. I'm excited about the series, thanks for the words of wisdom.

Margo Hoornstra said...

Melissa. Thank you. So far I'm having a good time with it. ;-)

Margo Hoornstra said...

Kara. Thanks for stopping. That is a good quote. Kind of says it all for us humans.

Margo Hoornstra said...

MJ - Kindred it is! Thanks for the encouraging words. Here's hoping.

Susan Coryell said...

Oh boy! Did this ever touch a sore spot. I am addle-brained despite "careful" planning! Great blog and good luck with your latest WIP.

Barbara Edwards said...

Love the premise for your series. Looking forward to reading them all.

Unknown said...

With all due respect to my critique partner, I learned how to be a pain in the rear from the best (Diane). :)

Margo, if I dwelled on all my mistakes and laid them end to end, I believe they would reach the moon. I'd rather forget them. That's what makes tomorrow so appealing. Tomorrow is a clean slate, a new beginning, everyone's second chance--to either forget or undo yesterday's mistakes, It is probably why "Tomorrow," the song from the musical "Annie," was such a hit. It struck a chord with everyone, pun unintended.

Your new series sounds wonderful. Policemen have taken such a beating from politicians, the mainstream media, and some segments of the public lately that it will be refreshing to see them portrayed as human beings.

Leah St. James said...

Great concept, Margo! So sorry to be so late in commenting!