Friday, January 16, 2015

Embracing the New and Magical by Donna Michaels

And suddenly you know: It's time to start something new and trust the magic of beginnings. ~ Meister Eckhart

Seems to be a popular quote this month, and one that’s fitting for me. Like Vonnie, I had a few crazy deadlines last year. The ‘write a book in 3 weeks’ became a reality for me. Three times. Actually, I had 4 weeks for one of those books, then I went right into 2 weeks to revise a novella and lengthen it into a novel, which I turned in the day before I left for a conference. None of the crunching was by choice, but by necessity because of conferences, promo, social media, boxed sets, more promo, blogs, website updates, oh, yeah, and family obligations.
 
Jestina as 'Gloria' in Bye Bye, Birdie
 
There were quite a few this past year. My youngest in her high school productions, graduating from high school, one of my twins graduating college, and my daughter-in-law graduating from law school. Two of my children went off to 2 different colleges. Then there was my father-in-law diagnosed with cancer. Bless him, he was in the hospital for weeks, then a nursing home for months, then finally released to go home on my birthday. ☺ I've been helping to take him to chemo and doctor visits every week, but at least he’s home! Yes, 2014 was a crazy, busy year.
Holy smokes, just reading that makes me nuts. How the heck did I manage it all? Barely. Trust me. It certainly made me realize I need an assistant.
That's me, embracing my something new.
Yes, I am currently looking for an assistant. I know they can’t help me with the family stuff, but an assistant can help with my website, and promo, social media, and even the conferences. Hiring an assistant is scary, but I’m going to be asking my piers for recommendations and hopefully, I’ll find the right fit before I end up in deadline he## again.
So, I will trust the magic of beginnings.
How about you, was 2014 a crazy busy year for you, too? With one activity after another?
Here’s hoping 2015 is a crazy, wonderful year!
One of those boxed sets I mentioned will be releasing next week, Jan 20th, and is available for preorder for only .99¢! I’m honored to be involved in the Cowboy 12 Pack with such wonderful NY Times and USA Best Selling authors!
  
 

7 comments:

Margo Hoornstra said...

Crazy busy, and happily so. I've used a VA for a couple of years now. It saves soooo many frustrating days from becoming more frustrating. Here's to 2015!

Jannine Gallant said...

Wow, sounds like you need a clone, not an assistant! I had a busy year with two releases in 2014 and editing for the two coming out in 2015. Keeps you hopping. My oldest is a senior, so right now I'm in "applying for financial aid" hell to all 10 colleges she applied to. Hopefully life will smooth out in the spring!

Barbara Edwards said...

Wow. and I thought one novella and one book were a lot. Keep up the good work.

Alicia Dean said...

Oh my gosh, that is a lot to deal with. I'm so sorry about your father-in-law. Must be very difficult to deal with. What an adorable pic! Best of luck with your assistant hunt. Yes, it sounds like you definitely need some assistance. :)

Donna Michaels said...

Thanks, Margo. I definitely need one!

Thanks, Jannine. {{HUGS}} on the financial aid cra...stuff. Been there too many times and counting.

Thanks, Barbara. You, too!

Thanks, Alicia. My FIL ended up in the hospital again yesterday. We're hoping he'll be able to come home tomorrow. We're taking it one day at a time around here.

Leah St. James said...

Wow, Donna...I'm exhausted just reading about your year! I've had my share, though, and I know what it's like. Hope 2015 brings you some breathing room. Good luck with the boxed set. How exciting!

Diane Burton said...

Like Leah said, I too am exhausted just reading about your year. Mine wasn't quite that busy. Many great things (released 2 novels;, writing & more writing; son's wedding here; trip to AZ to see him & new wife) and some not so great (health issues; dealing with Hubs finishing the basement; boxes from our move still staring at me). Though 2015 started out on a difficult note with my sister's ill health, we move on and hope for the best. Hopefully, it will be less stressful for you, Donna.