I wonder of you’re aware of how much men love pie, I mean truly aware. You may have been baking birthday cakes for your significant other for years, but try asking him if he’d rather have pie. I bet you’ll be surprised. Somehow, I managed to miss this critical bit of information for the first twenty years of my marriage. Once I discovered it, I’ve been busy making up for lost time.
My husband adores pie in every form, but this recipe is one of his (and my) favorites. It’s super easy and perfect for this time of year. Just be sure you don’t use fully ripe pears, or you’ll have mush.
World’s Best Autumn Pie
2 unbaked 9” pie crusts, pierced with a fork
6 half-ripe pears, peeled, cored, and cut into chunks
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (juice of one large lemon)
½ teaspoon grated lemon zest
¾ cup dried cranberries
½ cup sugar
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 tablespoons milk
- Toss pears with lemon juice, zest, and cranberries.
- Mix sugar, flour, and salt. Combine with pear and berry mixture.
- Spoon pear and berry mixture evenly onto first pie crust.
- Place second pie crust on top, seal edges, and cut small vents into the top with a knife.
- Brush the top pie crust with milk. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in a preheated 375-degree oven for 45-60 minutes, watching the crust for overbrowning.
- Cool pie for 1 hour before slicing.
I always serve this pie with vanilla ice cream. Try it, and I guarantee your family will love it!