Monday, July 30, 2018

The Value of Networking by Diane Burton



Writers attend writing conferences for various reasons. Education, industry news, promotion (learning and doing), and networking. Catching up with old friends and making new ones is the most pleasurable experience at a conference. Meeting editors and/or agents can be a highlight, too.

Not everyone can afford the major conferences, like RT (Romantic Times) or RWA (Romance Writers of America). Some choose not to spend the money. Flying (or driving) to the location, paying for meals, and the conference fee itself can strain anyone’s budget.

Smaller conferences might be a better option. Local chapters (of RWA or other writing groups) often put on weekend workshops. Margo Hoornstra and I have talked about our RWA chapter’s Retreat From Harsh Reality. Our founders (Margo was one) decided not to invite editors or agents. We invite one author to present two formal workshops plus more informal Q&As. At first (back in the mid-1980s) our own published authors gave the workshops. We’ve expanded since then. For instance, recent presenters were Jennifer Probst, Christie Craig, and Rita Clay Estrada. The best part of our retreat is the laid-back, relaxed atmosphere. Blue jeans and T-shirts instead of more formal attire. Again, the most pleasurable thing (for me) is getting together with like-minded people. Those who understand what writing is all about.

So what does a writer do who can’t afford a conference (or a retreat)? Or those conferences are too far away, and flying is too expensive? How do they learn writing basics or industry trends or get together with like-minded individuals? How do they network?

Online.

When I started in this business over twenty years ago, the internet wasn’t available. We did have email but not the proliferation of networking opportunities. With YahooGroups, Facebook, Instagram, and other means of social media, writers can get together with other writers and it costs little or nothing. We join groups like Authors Helping Authors, Marketing For Romance Writers, and groups that target writers and readers of specific genres. Sisters in Crime, Savvy Authors, and RWA offer online courses in all aspects of writing—from basics to advanced writing, how to use Scrivener, the business of writing, etc. And the cost is minimal.

I love getting together face-to-face, but when I can’t do that, online is great. I’ve met so many new (to me) writers, made friends, and learned so much from them. This group is a fine example. When I first joined, I only knew a couple of you. Now, I’ve made some great friends and discovered authors whose books are now my one-clicks on Amazon.

We aren’t isolated any longer.

Diane Burton combines her love of mystery, adventure, science fiction, and romance into writing romantic fiction. She blogs here on the 16th and 30th of each month. She shares snippets from her stories every weekend on her blog.  Her latest release is NUMBERS NEVER LIE, a romantic suspense, available at Amazon, free for Kindle Unlimited.

15 comments:

Leah St. James said...

So true on all counts, Diane. I really enjoy conferences but have only been to one "big" one, and it's been a number of years. I still remember the fun times I had with other authors as we practiced our pitches! Online groups are wonderful, but I always hope to some day meet my online writer friends! The friendships and those in-person connections are what have tempted me to rejoin RWA so I could attend monthly meetings of a local chapter. But even they are 90 miles away and often out of my reach time-wise. So thank goodness for online!

Diane Burton said...

Since our RWA chapter varies the location, we all have long drives to get to the monthly meetings. For me, it ranges from 1/2 hour to 2 hours one-way. Are they worth the time? Mostly. I treat it like an all-day event. I love that I can connect online. Someday, all of us Roses will have to get together and meet in person.

Margo Hoornstra said...

As Leah said, so true. There's not much I can add except to say that a high point for me at National was meeting a long time online friend face to face. And, yes, all of us Rose need to get together some day.

remullins said...

I don't know what I'd do without our little group and the authors I've met on FB. You have given such great advice.

Patricia Kiyono said...

Agreed, Diane. Our face-to-face groups are a vital part of my writing journey, but if it weren't for our online communities, things would take so much longer! I love that there are video options online now, too. Recently I held a committee meeting through the chat option on Facebook - so much easier than trying to find a location and time we could all meet!

Jannine Gallant said...

I met some online author friends face to face at RT, which was fun. But a smaller setting would be a lot more conducive to quiet conversations. I have a feeling I'd enjoy a retreat a lot more. For me, RT was about learning what marketing tips I could and interacting with reps from my publishing house. It sure doesn't hurt to be seen and put a face to a name. I do feel the online friendships I've made are the most solid and productive in helping us all advance our writing careers.

Rolynn Anderson said...

Diane, all you say and responses to your entry are spot on. It was JL who got me connected up with Wild Rose Press...so that group was important...I published first in 2011...and here were are in 2018. I've been writing about a book a year (since 2002); published 8. I am amazed at how many authors I know have a similar trajectory, like we're in a long distance race together, passing water bottles, bandages, and snacks to each other as we slog cross country, half of the time in the dark. I never would have self-pubbed without the help of other authors. And yes, a retreat of rose buds is still on my radar. Cyber toast to you all!

Brenda Whiteside said...

I agree as we all do. My online friends are very important for the social aspect but for teaching and learning too. I'd love to meet them all face to face some day.

Diane Burton said...

Margo, I know what you mean. That must have been great.

Diane Burton said...

Thanks, Robin. We work in solitude, so it's great to connect with other writers whenever and wherever we can.

Diane Burton said...

Patty, you are so right. I remember trying to arrange a board meeting back-in-the-day. How terrific technology is that lets us connect from our homes.

Diane Burton said...

Jannine, when I first started going to conferences, it was the only way to learn (besides books). No online workshops, or Yahoo groups where we could learn from each other. Going to a conference with specific goals is very productive. I'm glad that you achieved that goal at RT.

Diane Burton said...

Rolynn, if it wasn't for another writer (one I consider a mentor) I would never have known about self-pubbing via Amazon or Smashwords. From there, I advanced to Nook and Kobo. That prod from a friend kickstarted my stalled career. So glad that worked for you, too.

Diane Burton said...

Brenda, you summed it up nicely. The friendships developed online can be made stronger by meeting in person.

Alicia Dean said...

Great post, I love going to conferences! I agree, the smaller ones are better than the big, expensive ones (although, I've noticed, some of the smaller ones are getting pretty damned pricey...) Anyway, there is just such a great energy at these conferences, the networking, learning, socializing, it's all great. :) I also want to meet all the Roses face to face! We just need to find a way to make that happen.