Wednesday, July 18, 2018

First Line Fun by Jannine Gallant


I know it's hot outside...all the more reason to think about snow! It's that time of year when the Roses plan their Christmas stories. We'll be posting them starting right after Thanksgiving weekend and wrapping up at Christmas, and we need your help. We have 13 first lines written anonymously by our authors, and we need to narrow the field to the most popular choices. Every story will begin with the same first line. If you could please leave a comment with your top two choices, you can help determine the fate of our stories this year!

Here they are in no particular order:

1.     “I can’t believe you did that.”

2.     The unexpected snowstorm changed everything.

3.     Oh no, not today.

4.     She peered through the snow-spattered windshield at the neon sign and hoped like hell there was room at the inn.

5.     I’ll take the shoes.

6.     She was skipping Christmas this year.

7.     How did that get in here?

8.     How could this day get any worse?

9.     She tugged the beard, horrified when the bright blue eyes watered and the cherry red lips yelped.

10.  “No presents this Christmas…”

11.  Playing Santa for one night would save her.

12.  Even Rudolph would have been grounded by the storm's intensity.

13.  And there it was--the perfect gift.


Thanks for helping us out!

If you're looking for a summer beach read that will give you chills, pick up a copy of LOST INNOCENCE at your local Barnes & Noble or download a copy at Amazon. Happy reading!

26 comments:

Casi McLean said...

I like # 4 the best.

Jannine Gallant said...

Thanks for voting Casi! Now that we've got the ball rolling, I'll put in my picks. I like #2 and #13. Completely different, but both have a lot of potential to go in multiple directions.

Vonnie Davis said...

I like #9 and #13 the best, but the choice was hard to make. They were all good with lots of possibilities.

Margo Hoornstra said...

Mine are #3 and #5. Actually, they all have potential, but those are my favorites.

JenaGalifany said...

#13 and #8. Looking forward to what you all do this year. (Jena Galifany)

Brenda Whiteside said...

I like #4 and #6.

Rolynn Anderson said...

#4 and #11

Alicia Dean said...

Can I choose four favorites??? :) I like them all, but I lean toward those that come right out of the box as seasonal related. And, I like ones that open up lots of possibilities. So, if I can only pick two, I'll say #4 and #11. But my other choices would have been 2, 6, 12, 13. (I know, nobody cares, LOL) Great job, Roses!

Alina K. Field said...

I like 2 and 6

Jannine Gallant said...

Thanks for all the votes! Keep them coming. Right now it looks like 4 and 13 are in the lead!

Patricia Kiyono said...

I love #6 and #13.

Barbara Edwards said...

I'm going with #6 & #10

Alison Henderson said...

I'm torn. I think my favorites are #4 and #6.

Darcy Flynn said...

They’re all terrific, but I’m going with 8 and 12.

Diane Garner said...

Like them all, but I vote for 4 and 6. Have fun.

Diane Burton said...

I like #4 and #6.

Andrea Downing said...

I like #1 and #7 . Good luck ladies!

Christine DePetrillo said...

#4 and #13 are my top picks!

remullins said...

I like #6 and 8. It's how I approach most holidays.

Maureen said...

#5 and #13 :)

Jannine Gallant said...

I'm putting in my mom's vote since she reads the blog every day but isn't signed in to Google. She likes 9, 3 and 13. None of those are mine. Hmmm... LOL

Linda Carroll-Bradd said...

#6 and #13 intrigue me.

Katherine Pritchett said...

I like 2 and 3. Jumps right in, but leaves plenty of room to maneuver.

Leah St. James said...

It's a tough choice, but my top two are 4 and 13.

Susan Coryell said...

#2 and #6 because both stimulated an instant story idea in my mind's eye.

Kara O'Neal said...

I vote for 3, 5, or 6. Loved reading all of them. It was so hard to choose! I couldn't even narrow it down to two like the rest of y'all did.