Friday, March 16, 2018

Progress by Diane Burton

My last post was such a downer. February was a downer month. Here it is March and, WOW, what a change. Having a pity party (about lack of progress) should never last a whole month! So, I’d like to share what’s changed.

Thanks to wonderfully supportive writers, like you all, the Insecure Writers Support Group, and friends, I feel lifted up and raring to go. My work-in-progress, a romantic suspense that’s had a variety of titles, is coming together. I only wrote 7,000 words in February. Since my goal was 500 words/day, I was behind about 7k. Talk about depressing.

Already this month, I’ve written 3,000 words, and feel great about that. I also had a visit from my Muse (LOL) and came up with what I think is a great title: Numbers Never Lie. Being fellow writers, you know that feeling. I felt like a grinning Hannibal Smith rubbing his hands together and saying, “I love it when a plan comes together.”

Isn’t it (ironic) funny how something as small as a title can change our attitude? That and sunshine. February around the Great Lakes produces gray skies. When I was a kid, one of the Detroit newspapers ran a contest: guess how many minutes of sunshine in February. My mother’s estimate was 7,000 (292 hours; 10 days). Mom’s estimate was too high. We love living near Lake Michigan. The beach, the water. Summer is wonderful. February isn’t.

For the past four years, we’ve gone out to Arizona to visit our son and his family. Not so this year. They moved here. As much as I love them living close by, we don’t have an excuse to leave Michigan in the winter. I told Hubs next year we’ll find some place to go, family or not.

Speaking of family, we’ve seen a lot of the grandkids this year. At least, once a week we see the twins (now 4 months old) and Toddler Girl plus the two older kiddies. Hubs is helping the older two prepare their cars for Pinewood Derby. Grandson’s Cub Scout troop insists this is a family event so granddaughter is participating, too. On another note, we went to Number One (agewise) Granddaughter’s orchestra concert. She plays violin. So proud of her musical talent. And we attended grandson’s karate promotion. He earned a yellow stripe on his red belt. Although he’s eight, he’d determined to earn his black belt be the time he’s twelve. Such determination. Proud grandma here!

I’m chugging along on Numbers Never Lie. My plan is to release it before summer. Here’s the tentative blurb:


A shocking secret brings danger to Jack Sinclair and his sister Maggie. 

As kids, they were the fearless threesome. As adults, Jack's an accountant; Drew, a lawyer; Maggie, a teacher and camping troop leader. Returning from a weekend camping trip, Maggie receives horrifying news. She refuses to believe her brother’s fatal car crash was an accident. If the police won’t investigate, she’ll do it herself. Convincing Drew Campbell to help is her only recourse.

Drew Campbell was too busy to return his best friend’s phone call. Too busy to attend a camping meeting important to his teen daughter. Too busy to stay in touch with Jack. Logic and reason indicate Jack’s accident was just that—an accident caused by fatigue and fog. Prodded by guilt, he’ll help Maggie even if he thinks she’s wrong.

A break-in at Jack’s condo convinces Maggie she’s right. Then her home is searched. What did Jack leave behind?

I’ll be back on the 30th and update you on my progress. BTW, I share snippets from Numbers Never Lie each weekend on the Weekend Writing Warriors' hop.


Diane Burton combines her love of mystery, adventure, science fiction, and romance into writing romantic fiction. She blogs here on the 16th and 30th of each month.

19 comments:

Margo Hoornstra said...

Sooo glad you got your groove back, as they say. Oh those little victories. They mean so much, don’t they? Love your title BTW. Nice.

Jannine Gallant said...

Congrats on getting your mojo back! I love that title. Yes, sometimes it's just a little piece of the puzzle that motivates us again.

Diane Burton said...

Thanks, Margo. If we didn't celebrate little victories, the big ones would be too far apart.

Diane Burton said...

Janinne, you're right about little pieces. Thanks. Glad you like the title.

Rolynn Anderson said...

Way to go, Diane! Your life with the grandkids sounds so rich and stimulating and your new book has the look of success. Secure a VRBO in AZ for next year's glum months and you're back on track! (The good VRBO's get taken early, so best to do it now. Last year we got a wonderful place in Sedona for a month...complete with a red rock view...loved it)!

Alina K. Field said...

I several winters in Chicago and remember that desperate feeling at the end of winter. Hope you can sneak next year! Glad your story is moving along. That's a good feeling.

Susan Coryell said...

Glad March is bringing respite from February doldrums! Your blurb sounds enticing. Sounds as if you can use some of your grand kids' experiences in your book--especially the camping.
Nice post!

Maris said...

You are so right about those gray Februaries. Actually, in my opinion, there's way too much gray from November through March. Which is why I'm in sunny (most of the time) Florida. Think about giving us a visit next winter. Okay?

Alison Henderson said...

Yay, Diane! I know exactly how you feel about the Case of the Missing Muse, and also how great it is to solve the Title/Cover questions. It really helps you move forward. Number Never Lie is a terrific title, and I think you'll both be very happy together.

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

So glad you're back on track!
Sometimes a pity party needs to last as long as it...well needs to last - as long as you get back up!
Good luck and God's blessings
PamT

Vonnie Davis said...

From time-to-time, we all need a pity party to clean out some emotion. I get that way. I want to give up. I want to succeed. I want to cry. I want to stare off and empty my mind. This winter has been especially bead with health issues for Calvin and me. But Spring is coming and the Muse will smile again. Go you!!! Love the title, too.

Diane Burton said...

Rolynn, thanks for the advice. I wanted to go to Sedona last year when we were in AZ. I can imagine the vibes from the vortex stimulating my creative energies.

Diane Burton said...

Alina, I think this winter was worse (emotionally) than any before. Sneaking away to warmth sounds good.

Diane Burton said...

Thanks, Susan. In this book, I'm using some of the camping experiences I had with my daughter in Numbers Never Lie. It's fun remembering those times.

Diane Burton said...

Maris, I thought about you this winter, esp. when the weathergirl talked about South Haven and I knew you weren't there but enjoying FL sunshine. If we go to FL instead of AZ, I'll be sure to visit.

Diane Burton said...

LOL, Alison. I like that title (The Case of the Missing Muse). I've very happy with the one I chose.

Diane Burton said...

Pam you are so right about getting back up and working after the pity party. Too easy to stay down. BTW, Daughter promises to get me a "happy" light for Mother's Day, since I don't need it for this winter.

Diane Burton said...

Vonnie, you've had your share of troubles this winter. I hope you & Calvin's health issues are behind you so you can move on, too.

PS Glad you like the title.

Leah St. James said...

Add me to the "so happy you got your groove back" list, Diane! This story sounds fantastic, and I know it'll go on my reading list. Congrats to all your grandkids for their great news!