Friday, March 9, 2018

Fighting the Genre Label-Book of My Heart #1945 #historical


The last time I did Journey of a Novel, I shared my experience of the publication of my first book, Sleeping with the Lights On. But Sleeping wasn’t the first book I’d written. Sleeping with the Lights On was more of a break during the writing of another novel that I labored on for several years.

Dad and Mom 1947
As a young girl in Phoenix, Arizona, I’d listened to stories my mom told me about growing up in the 30s and 40s. Her mother died when she was three years old, and her father didn’t stay anywhere too long. He mostly worked in the fields, harvesting vegetables and cotton. Mom hopped freight trains, slept in hobo jungles, and traveled all over California and Arizona until her pre-teen years.

I wanted to use her life to tell a story. My first attempt covered about thirty years…and was awful. A couple of days ago, I threw out a stack of rejections I’ve hung on to all these years. Back then, we submitted to agents and publishers by snail mail. The rejection letters were form letters. Only one agent gave me personal advice. She told me to hone my story and to stop trying to cover so much.

I followed that advice, threw out twenty-eight years, and Honey On White Bread was born. But I still had a long road to publishing. Because my characters are seventeen and twenty when the book begins, the advice I got was it had to be a YA novel. I didn’t think the subject matter would interest the young adults of today…and neither did the agents and publishers I submitted to. Then I met the owner of a small e-publisher in Minnesota who listened to my pitch and wanted to publish it as Women’s Fiction. I was thrilled and so was Mom. I sold a few. Unfortunately, that publisher didn’t really have a Women’s Fiction line, and I knew nothing about promotion. The book languished with little recognition.

Eventually, after I’d published several books with The Wild Rose Press, and at a time when they expanded the genres they accepted, I requested and received the rights back from the small publisher. I submitted it to TWRP, and they loved it. The book went through a rigorous editing process and came out so much better as Post-War Dreams. It’s a 1945 historical of which I am proud.


POST-WAR DREAMS

World War II has ended and the soldiers are coming home. After years of following her crop worker father, motherless Claire Flanagan is also coming home. If she can keep her father in one place long enough, she plans to follow her dreams to Hollywood. Until she meets Benjamin.

Benjamin Russell has been working since he was fifteen to support his mother and siblings. What he most wants in life is to own a construction business and take care of the family his father abandoned. The last thing he expects is to fall for his younger sister’s best friend.

Life, however, throws cruel twists and turns into the path of romance. And when an unrequited love seeks revenge against Claire, and Benjamin learns his ex-girlfriend is pregnant, will lost dreams of a future together be the only thing they have left?



Manic Readers Reviews
Whiteside is a lovely story teller, who gives us vivid mind’s eye pictures of the people, the surroundings, & the emotions of her characters.

Still Moments Magazine
The author’s descriptive voice places the reader into the historical setting. The story is filled with intense emotion, captivating scenes, and unexpected twists. An enjoyable read. 


13 comments:

Jannine Gallant said...

This was the first book of yours I read, and probably my favorite. The emotion shines through. Sometimes we have to go with our heart, despite the challenges of writing something that isn't currently popular. My historical, An Uncertain Destiny, was like that. Publishers hated the early colonial time period and didn't know what to do with it, so I published it myself. I honestly think it's probably my best writing, and I've had amazing, heartfelt reviews. Going with our hearts might not sell a ton of books, but I, for one, am thankful you didn't give up on this story.

Rolynn Anderson said...

I enjoyed hearing of this book's journey, Brenda. I'm glad you wrote 'the book of your heart.' Basing your book on real people/events is a challenge...it tests your ability to convey the deep feelings you have about the story. I look forward to reading your book and Jannine's, too. Thanks for sharing your travels with Post War Dreams.

Brenda Whiteside said...

Jannine, thank you so much. I need to look back on my "read" list and see if I've read your book. Alas, I can no longer keep track in my head. Something tells me I did, but I'll check, and if not add it to my "to read" file.

Brenda Whiteside said...

Thanks, Rolynn. I some times wondered if I'd get it published before my mom left this world, but she's 87 and still shopping. She loves to tell people it's about her life...but that my father DID NOT get another woman pregnant. (I had to add a little fiction, you know!) And of course, I hardly remember my grandfather and certainly didn't know any of them as young people so I imagined their feelings.

Vonnie Davis said...

I just one-clicked. I enjoy stories of this time period. So proud of you for pushing and pushing so it has a chance to tell its story to us.

Alison Henderson said...

What a story, Brenda! A life like that needs to be shared. I've read several of your books but missed this one. I'll have to rectify that!

Brenda Whiteside said...

Thanks bunches, Vonnie! It's my favorite time period too, but not very popular unless it deals with the war.

Brenda Whiteside said...

It's not like my other books for sure, Alison. It's pure romance, but the times and the families make the story, I think.

Margo Hoornstra said...

Books of the heart are always the best ones, even though they may not have the commercial value editors are looking for. Although I'm sure your mother's early life was difficult, it makes for a fascinating story. I also enjoyed the story of the 'journey of your book'. One I definitely need to get a hold of to read. Here's to its continued success.

Diane Burton said...

Brenda, I'm glad you found a home for the book of your heart. This sounds so interesting.

Brenda Whiteside said...

Thanks, Margo. I thought someday I might write a couple of more books from that era using those hobo jungle stories, but haven't got around to it. My grandfather was quite the character.

Brenda Whiteside said...

Thanks, Diane.

Leah St. James said...

Wow, your mom had an amazing life, and I think it's a fantastic foundation for a book. I love historicals, and this is one of my favorite American time periods. (Geez, the readers where I live would snap this up!) I'm definitely checking it out.