Wednesday, March 21, 2018

April On-line class with Beth Trissel Herbal Lore and the Historic Medicinal Uses of Herbs

April On-line class with Beth Trissel
Herbal Lore and the Historic Medicinal Uses of Herbs
***PERMISSION TO FORWARD GRANTED AND ENCOURAGED***
Hosted by Charter Oak Romance Writers
Dates: April 2, 2018 through April 27, 2018
Instructor: Beth Trissel
Cost: $25
Open to: All
Please register: www.charteroakromance writers
2018 Online Classes

altWorkshop on Herbal Lore and the Historic Medicinal Uses of Herbs. This workshop has a broad focus, including Native American and Colonial American herbs, also cures popular with the mountain people and Granny Women of Eastern America, while including herbs of the British Isles. Each participant will receive the eBook of Plants for a Medieval Herb Garden in the British Isles by Beth Trissel.
Questions are welcomed and will be addressed as they arise, which leads to the inclusion of more herbs and topics. There are many ‘extras’ I add besides those listed.
Week One:
Introduction to the workshop and meet & greet.
The wisdom of Native Americans. A focus on Native American herbs.
The Granny Women. A focus on the mountain people and old time cures, both herbal and some white magic.
Week Two:
Colonial American herbs (Part One)
Colonial American herbs (Part Two)
Week Three:
Plants for a Medieval Herb Garden in the British Isles
Other related posts on herbs in the British Isles, including the Druids.
Week Four:
‘What can kill can cure’ but definitely kill and watch out for werewolves (Poisonous herbs and those believed to have power against werewolves and vampires)
For protection from spells and enchantment, the sacred, healing herbs
Knock yourself out and Ward off the Plague: Dwale, an Old-English Antiseptic
The Vinegar of the Four Thieves
An opportunity for final sharing from participants.
Bio for Beth Trissel: Married to my high school sweetheart, I live on a farm in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia surrounded by my children, grandbabies, and assorted animals. An avid gardener, my love of herbs and heirloom plants figures into my work. The rich history of Virginia, the Native Americans and the people who journeyed here from far beyond her borders are at the heart of my inspiration. And I love a good ghost story. I write historical, paranormal, and time travel romances, YA and NA fantasy romance, and nonfiction about gardening, herbal lore, and country life.
For more on me, my blog is the happening place: http://bethtrissel.wordpress.com/
From Barbara Edwards

9 comments:

Jannine Gallant said...

Sounds like an interesting topic!

Rolynn Anderson said...

My, what an interesting niche you've got going, Beth. And what an eclectic array of genres you write. Your class sounds intriguing...I know you'll have fun with it!

Barbara Edwards said...

Hi Jannine,
I'm taking the class, too. I love growing plants.

Barbara Edwards said...

hi Everyone,
sorry I was late with my post. I've had a digestive problem that is driving me nuts. Finally ended up at the ER and they gave me a prescription. We'll see how it works.
Barbara

Vonnie Davis said...

I took one of Beth's herbal classes when I was writing my first book. It was great and the knowledge she so eagerly shared has helped me in other books, as well. When I want to poison someone, I go to Beth. Gee, did that sound right?

Margo Hoornstra said...

What a treasure trove of knowledge to share. Feel better, Barb.

Brenda Whiteside said...

This is a fascinating subject. Sounds like a wonderful class. Now I'll spread the word!

Unknown said...

Interesting read. I've really gotten into diffused essential oils lately.

Leah St. James said...

Very cool, Beth. I've always been interested in natural and herbal medicines, and the historical and cultural angles sound fascinating.