Monday, March 26, 2018

What a difference a day makes

We had a snowstorm yesterday. 10" or so of snow, the wet, heavy stuff that happens in late winter. Whiteout conditions--the whole thing. I sat inside with an afghan on my lap and wrote most of the day. I am This Close >< to being back on schedule with my writing, but it's still a struggle some of the time.

But yesterday's weather has vanished and today: sun shining, roads are clear, snow on the ground (but it's melting like crazy). I drove to my sister's house today and counted 26 cars in the ditch on the 40-mile drive. Also 3 semi-trucks, one ass-over-teakettle and looking like a beetle that was upended with its legs waving in the air. Here in Iowa, we have some damn steep ditches on the side of the road, and one car was teetering on the brink of a huge drop (as in, 'you won't survive this one, kiddo; trust me'). I'll bet that driver exited the vehicle extremely cautiously.

Weather like this is a good reminder that there is a new day lurking around the corner. No matter what is thrown at us today, tomorrow might be better. It might be worse, too, but it might be better. Gray might be replaced by blue, writer's block might be replaced by productivity (see how I snuck that bit in there about writing?), and spring might be around the corner (I can see it--it's hiding, but I think it's there).

So hang in there -- you never know what might happen in 24 hours, give or take a few.

J L
(jayellwilson.com)

7 comments:

Diane Burton said...

Wow. 10" snow??? The worst snowstorms I've even been in were in March. Fortunately for us (in Michigan), that storm bypassed us and we had sunny days all weekend (and today). I loved your segue to writing. You just never know what the next day will bring. So glad you're back on track with your writing.

Margo Hoornstra said...

Nice way to start my day. Reading about snow elsewhere. LOL Glad you made the most of your day in the storm.

Rolynn Anderson said...

Pretty white snow when it happens that way...better than the dirty stuff it covered. And best to melt by the time YOU have to drive. Now that's my kind of polite weather. Enjoy the sun and the writing frenzy, JL!

Jannine Gallant said...

After storms that left us with 3 feet of new snow, then a rainstorm, then more snow, we now have sunshine in the forecast! I'm looking forward to that blue sky! Happy writing, JL.

Brenda Whiteside said...

I remember those days and I don't miss them...and I do miss them. Huddled up in the house makes for a good focus on things like writing, glass of wine or cup of hot chocolate a must. No guilt for hanging inside.

remullins said...

IMO snow should fall Christmas eve and melt Christmas night.

Leah St. James said...

I'm with Robin. :-)