Tuesday, July 18, 2017
Help Us Choose Our First Line! by Jannine Gallant
It's that time of year when the Roses of Prose start thinking about our holiday stories. As we have for the last several years, we will be posting short Christmas stories throughout the month of December. The only common denominator is the first line. That's where we need your help. We've had a LOT of first line suggestions this year, and we want to narrow the pack to the ones our readers think have the most potential before the final vote. Please leave comments telling us which lines are your favorites. Listed in the order they were received:
1) It was done. And she would lead the Christmas Parade down Main Street wearing nothing but a smile before she did it again.
2) She couldn't wait for Christmas to be over. Last night she'd dreamed she was being chased around the kitchen by a diabolical gingerbread man with glowing, red-hot eyes.
3) Pulling this off would take a Christmas miracle.
4) The eggnog was definitely spiked.
5) There was something about Santa no one had ever told her.
6) Stuck in an elevator on Christmas Eve...
7) Red really was his best color.
8) The only Christmas card she'd gotten and it was signed "Your Secret Admirer."
9) Her effort to steal Christmas failed.
10) She never liked Christmas when she was a kid.
11) Naughty and nice were never a problem for her.
12) What would Santa think about her last move?
13) There stood Santa, naked except for his black boots and his hat hanging on...
There are some definite contenders in here that get the creative juices flowing! What do you like in a first line? Long or short? General or specific? Pick your favorite line or two and leave us a comment. We'll announce the winning first line when we get a little closer to Christmas. Above all, don't forget to come back in December to read our stories!
And now for a book plug since it is my day to post... My BORN TO BE WILDE series is still on sale throughout the month of July. Check out my WEBSITE for direct buy links to all retailers.