Thursday, August 4, 2016

The Barn by Christine DePetrillo

In my book, More Than Pancakes, the hero, Rick Stannard, builds barns during the off season of his maple syrup business. In my real life, The Husband built a barn for us.

And when I say he built a barn, I mean He. Built. A. Barn.

Have a look.

Carving beams.

Carving posts.

There were hundreds of these!

Starting to assemble the puzzle.

Erecting the bottom level.

Everything fits!

Adding the second floor.

Roof rafters (the only woodwork he didn't cut himself).

View from inside.

Weathering the winter.


Vinyl siding - what we're working on this summer. 

It's been so cool seeing this barn go from computerized sketches, to hundreds of interlocking pieces, to what is standing there today... and will hopefully be standing there for a long, long time. Now to fill it!

I've got a talented husband. Building stuff is one of his many superpowers. I think I'll keep him.

Haven't read More Than Pancakes yet? Try it for FREE in ebook!


Toodles, 

Chris
www.christinedepetrillo.weebly.com 

The Maple Leaf Series, Books One to Six, available now. More Than Pancakes, Book One, is always FREE in ebook!



SAFE, Book One in The Shielded Series, pre-order today!   

11 comments:

Jannine Gallant said...

That is one awesome barn. My hub is a carpenter. It's nice when they're handy.

Leah St. James said...

Wow...how very cool, Chris! My hubby's talents lie in the non-handy directions for the most part (like he's a fantastic plotter and can drive - safely - in any kind of snow), but we both really appreciate beautiful carpentry. Nice!

Margo Hoornstra said...

Impressive. Such attention to detail. It is nice when they're handy. Cheaper too.

Rolynn Anderson said...

Sweat equity. My husband and I completed our first home (after the studs were up). 1974. We did the plumbing, and wiring, the roof, siding, inside and out...on an on...much sweat and a few accidents. But that endeavor helped us move up in our homes over the years with small mortgages. I'd never do it again, but the outcome was extraordinary. We learned SO MUCH! Now my husband makes furniture for our home, in beautiful cherry. I understand completely your pride in building your gorgeous barn, Chris. It's more than saving money...which is important...it's knowing how well-built it is and tangible evidence of skill and persistence. Wow, I love your barn!

Christine DePetrillo said...

Thanks, everyone! We've remodeled a house on that property too. Probably would have been easier to knock it down and start again, but we do love a challenge. And there's nothing my husband won't try - plumbing, electrical, cabinet-making, furniture-making, flooring... I've learned so much just from helping him.

Of course, it's ruined me for just going into a furniture store and picking out a piece. I can't help but spot all its flaws and saying to my husband, "I'd like this, but better."

Diane Burton said...

Very cool, Chris. How great that you have a pictorial history from start to finish. Hubs has put a lot of sweat equity into our houses. You'd think when we had our newest house built, he wouldn't have to do anything. Wrong! He immediately wanted to finish the basement. He did everything except the drywall himself and had the township inspectors in each step of the way. We went from a 3 bedroom 2 bath house to 5 bedrooms & 3 baths. Those extra 2 bedrooms are our offices. I'm never moving again (famous last words) so our kids will benefit from their dad's efforts.

Andrea Downing said...

Wow, did I see dovetail joints?? They don't make 'em like that anymore. Can he come build me a she-shed please?!

Alison Henderson said...

My husband is very handy and built himself a wonderful shed that's a small replica of the house, but that barn - WOW! I'm not even going to show him the pictures.

Christine DePetrillo said...

Andrea, dovetail indeed!

Alison, show him! Maybe he'll get inspired! LOL.

Brenda Whiteside said...

Wowzer! I'm so impressed, especially the interlocking stuff instead of nails and screws.

Alicia Dean said...

Oh wow, I am TOTALLY impressed. It's magnificent. My ex-husband couldn't even build a sandwich. ;) Very cool to have the progress in pictures. Enjoyed this a lot!