Monday, August 15, 2016

I'm on Vacation! by Alison Henderson

PO&O and OG
No, I haven't jetted off to some exotic foreign locale. I'm still here in beautiful, smoky Carmel. But this week is very special for me every year. I take a week off from writing to enjoy the company of my Precious One and Only (henceforth to be known as PO&O). Every August, our daughter comes from Chicago to enjoy the famous Classic Car Week festivities that take place in venues across the Monterey Peninsula. 

Mostly, she enjoys these events with OG. I'm not as much of a car buff, and this gives them lots of great father/daughter bonding time. However, as you read this, PO&O and I are on our annual ladies-only pilgrimage to the Gilroy Outlet Mall. It's one of the most highly-anticipated days of the year, when we load into my little red Fiat 500 and drive an hour northeast to the aromatic hamlet of Gilroy, California - the Garlic Capital of America. We shop 'til we drop (Mom pays) and eat our only lunch of the year at In 'N Out Burger. Most importantly, we get six hours of uninterrupted conversation. It's heaven.


Little Car Show
The rest of the days, PO&O and OG choose one car event per day - either an auction preview, a driving event, or a car show. I usually go with them to a couple of the free events. Two of my favorites are the Little Car Show in Pacific Grove, which features only micro cars, and the Concours on the Avenue in Carmel-by-the-Sea. You'll never see as many exotic, frightfully expensive vehicles lined up together anywhere else.  

Even if I don't attend many events, Car Week has it's own special vibe. Automotive enthusiasts come from all over the world, and many bring (or drive) their own fancy cars. Red Ferraris are so commonplace on the roads that they become almost boring after the first few days. Last year while driving to the grocery store, I passed a string of Lambourghinis in every possible color driving toward me in the opposite direction. Every major foreign luxury brand has some sort of special gathering.

This year, I wonder how much effect the huge fire in Big Sur will have on the crowds. The smoke is still quite thick in the mornings, and most of the auction venues park the cars outside during the previews. I'm not sure I'd want my million dollar car exposed to the corrosive effects of all that smoke. But whatever happens, PO&O, OG, and I will have a blast. We always do!

Alison
www.alisonhenderson.com

14 comments:

Margo Hoornstra said...

Sounds like great times. No wonder you look forward to this annual visit. Enjoy!

Jannine Gallant said...

I'm sure you'll have a great time, despite the smoke. Enjoy your visit with your daughter!

Rolynn Anderson said...

Great fun for all three of you. That OG and your daughter have a special common interest is wonderful. Hope the winds blow that ding-dang smoke out of the air so you can have a perfect time together!

Diane Burton said...

What a great week for you and your family. Enjoy the car shows. Can't believe Ferraris could be boring. I hope the smoke blows away from you. Better yet, that the fires are extinguished

Brenda Whiteside said...

How fun! You need that time away from writing with family to unwind.

Vonnie Davis, Author said...

Sounds divine. I know the 3 of you will enjoy every moment, smoky or not. Loved seeing your daughter and OG.

Barbara Edwards said...

I love car shows. They are so fantastic. Have fun.

Alison Henderson said...

Hi, everyone. I'm checking in after a highly successful shopping excursion - worn out, but we got every "necessity" on the list. LOL The fire is 60% contained, but the winds have been in our favor for three days, so there's no smoke in the air at all. Fingers crossed it stays that way for the rest of the week!

Tanya Hanson said...

What a beautiful family you have, Alison! Enjoy, enjoy...did you try the garlic ice cream in Gilroy lol? I've never had the nerve. Hugs...

Andrea Downing said...

Alison, I am lucky enough to live just 5 blocks from my daughter (32) most of the year and I know how wonderful our days together can be, so enjoy your time with PO&O. I've been to your neck of the woods (or maybe I should say 'ocean'?) and know what a lovely area it is. Enjoy your time together!

Alison Henderson said...

Tanya, no garlic ice cream for us, but WOW the aroma was strong in the air today.

Alison Henderson said...

Andi, I would love it if she lived closer, but we talk every day so I don't go into withdrawal.

Leah St. James said...

How wonderful, Alison! It does sound like heaven. :-) I've been thinking about you as I've watched the fires out there.

Alicia Dean said...

Awww, sounds like a great time with your lovely daughter! I'm glad the fires are slightly under control. Enjoy!!