Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Olympics, Brain Overload, and Publishing--Oh My! ~ Vonnie Davis

I always look forward to the Olympics. The best of every country competing. As a mother and grandma of youngsters who devoted themselves to various sports, I know the discipline and sacrifice they've given on the high school and collegiate levels. My grandson Ryan will be wrestling for MIT this winter--not that I'm bragging, mind you (Cheezy Grin)--the team's name? "Tough Nerds." I kid you not.

No one in my family has ever aspired to participate in the Olympics, but that doesn't deter from my enjoyment of the events. It's as if each athlete is a part of me. Yes, I am an emotional ninny.

I've been mentally bogged down of late. So much so, I feel as if my mind is a filing cabinet of storylines and I can't keep them straight. I literally have to ask myself what story I'm going to work on today. Hangs head in shame. Today I worked on three: The Roses Christmas short story, A Christmas novella, and a contemporary romance with a plot thinner than a sneeze. Oh, and a synopsis of a book I've yet to write; the fourth bear-shifter story in my Highlander Beloved series. I've no clue if I can generate interest in it, or not.

I'm trying because I've been getting a lot of emails from readers asking for more stories in the series. The latest was from an author who told me my bears were a topic of conversation at her local RWA chapter meeting. They probably wondered what kind of simple-minded fool would write a paranormal that didn't fit half of the rules. She gave me a list of the three shifters they wanted books about. One was married, but they wanted to hear how he met his love and got his HEA. I don't think I can convince my editor to go for all three, so I'll pitch one at a time.


If I were to label what kind of romances I write, I'd have to say anything but Regencies and futuristics. The variety of my published things makes it hard to market myself. My name is my brand. Most readers expect a certain level of humor in my stories. My editor tells me my humor should be greatly reduced, my plot lines are heavy, like my hips, aaaaand first person is preferable to third.

It's like the punch line:  "Just when I learn all the answers, they change the questions." Yeah, that's the state of publishing right about now.

If you've never read book one of my bear shifters, A HIGHLANDER'S OBSESSION, Amazon's Buy Link is: https://amzn.com/B00ILX9WC0


Forgive a proud grandma. My son made several slide shows to play at Ryan's high school graduation party. Unfortunately, Ryan is typically the shortest one in the group. Why do dark-haired wrestlers have blond hair in some of the pictures? They bleach their hair during districts and regionals. Ryan, who damaged his knee in the finals, took second place in the state at 170 pounds. Once the slide show starts, click on the arrows in the lower right corner so it goes full-screen and crank up the volume..
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tp8hrgrf4x51vcw/Friends%20-%20Good%20to%20Be%20Alive.mp4?dl=0

13 comments:

Margo Hoornstra said...

Okay, I'm pumped! Thanks for the much needed boost, Vonnie! Go, Ryan! Also good to know we're not alone in this craziness called writing for publication. They really did change the questions, didn't they? ;-)

Angela Adams said...

Love that teaser from "A Highlander's Obsession." Go, Ryan!!!

Barbara Edwards said...

Thanks for the reminder. I have the beginning for my short for Christmas and need to get going.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Margo, I play that slideshow every morning to get me pumped, too. LOL I love the beat of the song. Or is it the words? Or pics of my sweet boy. I tell him he'll be 50 and I'll still be calling him my sweet boy. He throws his arm across my shoulders and whispers, "But I was born on your fiftieth birthday. That would make you a hundred." I have four grandsons I call "my sweet boy." Thank goodness they haven't caught on--or if they have, they just figure it's more of my craziness.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Thanks, Angela. The publisher made a couple of those up for me to use in promo.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Barb, time sneaks up on us quickly. I hate being rushed.

Jannine Gallant said...

I think, with a strong personality and style like you have, your name can be your brand. No matter what sub-genre you write. Just hold strong (like the athletes) and don't let your pub take that away from you!

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Thanks, Jannine. I thought it sounded a little on the braggie side when I wrote it. I stopped and looked at it and thought "no." I am my brand. I'm goofy and caring. I am who I am. That's how I write.

Rolynn Anderson said...

Thanks for the song and the pics from Ryan this morning. Wrestling teams have a special bond because they prepare each other for their individual matches, alone in the arena...it takes guts, that's for sure. As for the writer angst, cherish the following: you have readers who are asking for more, your brain is full of stories...and you have five grandsons who are sweet boys. You're one lucky woman

Diane Burton said...

The wrestlers with their bleached hair reminds me of my son's swimming days where they shaved symbols in their hair. My only request was he not shave before senior pictures were taken. LOL I love the Olympics--more the winter than summer. Best of luck to your grandson.

Alison Henderson said...

You are your brand, and I think that's what we should all aspire to be.

Alicia Dean said...

I'm not an Olympics watcher, I'll have to admit. :( How cool that your books have touched so many readers that they are clamoring for more! And, being very specific about it, LOL. Thanks for sharing about Ryan...I'm sure you are quite proud!!

Leah St. James said...

Wonderful post, Vonnie. I agree--you are your brand. Besides that, I love your humor, I don't think your plots are the least bit heavy, and I prefer third person. And it seems your readers would agree! Thanks for the reminder about the Olympics. I used to be a fanatic, but ever since they changed to every other year, it just doesn't feel as special to me. (I know, it's every four years for each of the seasons, but that's how I feel.) I hope you'll keep us posted on how Ryan does with the Nerds! :-)