Saturday, October 3, 2015

Just Look at What They've Done to My Beloved Jane Austin!

Everyday I get an email paper called "Lit Flash." Typically, they show four or five books--some new and some best sellers--from many sub-genres of romance. I've been fortunate enough to have some of my books placed there. The exposure is nice. You can order directly from this paper; there's a link to Amazon. And I have done so a couple times when something caught my eye.

Something caught my eye and my stomach and my ire in today's issue. I mean, some of my days have started with my waking from slumber, quoting the opening paragraphs of this book over and over and over. Calvin quips, "Is it going to be another Jane Austin day?" So, to see this put my bloomers in a twist.


Here's the description of the book:
Author Lev Grossman, asks in Time, "Has there ever been a work of literature that couldn't be improved by adding zombies?" In this latest Pride and Prejudice adaption, Jane Austen’s classic is mashed up with zombies, and Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy are killing the undead in-between civilized verbal sparring and romance.  Adapted for a 2016 film of the same name, Booklist asks, “What’s next? Wuthering Heights and Werewolves?” With more than 14,375 five-star Goodreads.com ratings, you’ll want to read this while you still have your brains!

Ladies, this thing is a best seller! I just can't get over it. And I know it sounds a little funny coming from a woman who writes stories about men in kilts who shift into bears, but...come on...this is Jane Austin. I hope fire ants build a nest in the author's nose! Not that I'm a vengeful person, mind you.

Although, I must say it's taught me one thing. I've gotten dinged pretty heavily on Goodreads because my heroines cry. Well, I cry. I'm a caring, sensitive person. Show me a picture of a sick child and my waterworks are flowing. So, yes, my heroines are often tender-hearted as well as tough. Yet, have Elizabeth Bennett chase zombies and the book gets over 14,000 five-star reviews on Goodreads! Blows my mind, folks. Never again will I get upset over a review there. In fact, I'm going to stop looking at them.

I know we write to entertain. Mostly, I like to entertain myself, although my editor often has different ideas in mind. She wants what's trending. And this old gal hasn't trended in decades. Amazing, isn't it? What sells and what doesn't? No one ever said this business made any sense.


8 comments:

Jannine Gallant said...

Insane, Vonnie, absolutely insane!

Brenda Whiteside said...

Blasphemy!

Leah St. James said...

Why??? That's all I want to know. WHY?

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

I'm thinking the same thing. WHY would so many people want to buy it and what's so fabulous about it that it would get over 14,000 five star reviews? The cover alone makes me shiver. I'm not turned on by the macabre. Some are. Fine. I know I sound dated, but don't mess with the greats. Just. Don't. Do It.

Sandra Dailey said...

I suspect these are people who have no imagination. Sure they write about zombies, but they have to use someone else's story to do it. They're so jealous of the great works of literature, they have to destroy it. I suppose I should feel sorry for them, but it's the same as painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa. Bring on the fire ants.

Alison Henderson said...

I first heard of that book several years ago, during the early days of the zombie craze . I've never read a single word, but I always assumed it was campy tongue-in-cheek. I can't imagine the author tried to write something actually scary with Elizabeth and Darcy. Nah. Too absurd to even be funny.

Rolynn Anderson said...

I have never understood the zombie craze (why put on make up to make yourself look horrible, I ask you). The whole fan fiction thing is a mystery to me, too. Yet the Shades woman has made 100 million bucks on her take-off on Twilight. To wrangle Pride and Prejudice into a zombie story? The worst possible thing to do. I'm standing with you, Vonnie. It stinks!

Margo Hoornstra said...

Seriously? It is absolutely insane what actually SELLS sometimes. I'll join with the no imagination theory. Shaking my head all the way.