Wednesday, April 30, 2014

When Life Knocks You Down by Diane Burton









I saw this on Facebook and thought how appropriate it is to our monthly topic of success and failure. I’m sure we’ve all been knocked down sometime during our lives. Health, loss of a family member and/or a job, crushing defeat. So what do we do? Pull the covers over our heads and stay there until “it” goes away? Or do we tough it out?

Or maybe a combination. Many times I’ve wanted to crawl under those covers. But I had responsibilities, people depending on me. I had to put grief on hold, suck it up, and do what needed to be done. Not always, though.

Many times, I just retreated. Sorry to say, when friends wrote, I didn’t answer. In hindsight, I’m sure there was some depression going on. Especially when I lost my mom, mother-in-law, and a special aunt within eighteen months. Still, life goes on. Eventually, grief eases. It never totally goes away. You just learn to live with it.

Maybe success is getting back up after being knocked down.

9 comments:

Margo Hoornstra said...

Great words of wisdom, Diane. We do always get up, don't we?

Diane Burton said...

Yep, we do, Margo.

Jannine Gallant said...

Resilience under adversity. The key to taking that next step forward. Great post, Diane!

Diane Burton said...

Thanks, Jannine. I like that--resilience.

glenys said...

Something to think about, Diane. They say what doesn't kill us makes us strong. I think we probably reach a stage where we think we're quite strong enough, TYVM!

Diane Burton said...

LOL, Glenys. Yeah, I think we're strong enough, too. :)

Leah St. James said...

So true, Diane. Sometimes we do have to crawl into our "caves" (whatever form they may take) and give ourselves time to recover. Real friends understand.

Diane Burton said...

Thanks, Leah. You're right--real friends do understand.

Alicia Dean said...

Beautiful sentiment, the photo and your blog post. So very true. Sometimes life hands us things we aren't sure we can handle, but most of us just do.