Thursday, April 10, 2014

Success and Failure in Life - Where’s My Discipline?




Laura Breck
I’m a full-time writer, which means I work minimum ten-hour days, sometimes up to sixteen hours a day, and most of the time I’m working weekends, too.

I love it. The promotion and marketing, interacting with readers, publishing, and, of course writing. I’ve had much success with my writing, and I take pride in my discipline.

But oh my gosh, why doesn’t that transfer over into my non-writing life? I have been trying to get fit for many years, but have failed. Of course, sitting and writing every day doesn’t help.

I’ve tried fad diets, powders, pills, weekly meetings, and online support groups. I’ve tried strenuous exercise and dance videos. There’s only one thing missing.

Discipline.
 
I can chart out a plan but I need to want to follow it, too. If I can harness the excitement and determination I feel for my work into my diet and exercise program, there’d be no stopping me.

I’ll keep you appraised of my success as spring segues into summer. Right now, I’ve got to go. There’s sunshine and dry sidewalks out there just waiting for me!

Wishing you all the success in the world!
Laura
~Smart Women ~Sexy Men ~Seductive Romance
~Dancing in a Hurricane is available in digital formats at Amazon, Smashwords, and Barnes & Noble and in paperback at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Createspace
~Love in the Land of Lakes is available in digital format at Smashwords, All Romance Ebooks, Barnes & Noble, and Amazon, and in paperback at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Createspace

5 comments:

Margo Hoornstra said...

Laura. May the writing success continue! I find unless I truly love something, it's hard to do it day after day after day. Good luck with all your endeavors!

Alicia Dean said...

Sigh...I know exactly what you mean, Laura. Although, unfortunately, I am not a full-time writer. However, I can much more easily discipline myself to write than I can to exercise. I saw a woman on the tv show Episodes using a treadmill desk. I don't know how costly they are, but I'm sure they exist. I wonder if I could do something like that... Hmmm... Anyway, great post! This is a good time of year to start an exercise program, though, no weather excuses. :) Good luck to you...and to me!

Jannine Gallant said...

My exercise program is my dog. She doesn't let me skip days. We walk rain or shine or snow or sleet--you get the idea. LOL Okay, maybe we don't go as far in crappy weather, but we always go. Doesn't hurt that I have a whole forest outside my door either. Best of luck, and if all else fails, adopt a dog!

Diane Burton said...

I like Jannine's suggestion about a dog. :) I don't have the discipline in my personal life, either. Good luck.

Leah St. James said...

I've read that it takes about two weeks (maybe three?) for a new activity or behavior to become habit. So if you can get through those first two/three weeks, you being to do whatever it is more on auto pilot. It's far easier to go backwards, though. I try to exercise every day because it allows me to eat more and not have to spend money on new clothes. :-) (It's all about the food for me.) Every once in a while I fall off the, uh, treadmill, and even that one day makes me want to skip the next. I agree with Margo--you have to find something you really love. Maybe walks with friends?