Sunday, January 12, 2014

Rejection Can Take You Backward or Forward by Vonnie Davis

We look on rejection as a step backward, but that’s not always so. My divorce, for example, was a huge painful step backward. But because of it, I was free to meet my Calvin which was a lovely, gigantic leap forward for my heart.

Sometimes pain leads to happiness. So does rejection.
Last January, my agent sent an email to her romance writers that Carina Press had a call out for Christmas novellas. She listed the desired word count and other particulars. It's a chance to move ahead to a larger publisher, I thought, and interest sparked.

So, I wrote like a fiend to meet the deadline ... and got rejected.
A step backward.

I’ll confess the rejection stung. It was my first and brought along a passel of self-doubts. When I told my agent to send the manuscript back so I could rework it, she claimed she’d already sent Santa Wore Leathers on to other publishers. I groaned inwardly. More rejection was bound to come.
A month later, a contract offer came from HarperImpulse. Ah, a step forward.
The next week, my agent called again. “Vonnie, I need the first three chapters of that paranormal you’re working on. Oh, and a synopsis. An editor at Random House loved your novella, but since you’ve already got a contract, she asked if you had anything else she could see. Isn’t that great?”
Irritation rolled in my stomach. “What have you done? This paranormal is my play story. I piddle with it whenever I hit a rough spot in my current WIP. It’s not meant for publication. I don’t write paranormal. It’s just a play story.” I was repeating myself out of nervous fear.
“Well, play story or not, we’ve got another Big Six editor interested. Send me the three chapters and write up a synopsis.”
I felt myself sliding backwards. How could I write a synopsis of nothing?
The editor at Random House loved A Highlander's Beloved--bear shifters and all--and contracted it, offering options on three more. A big step forward.
Rejection can be a step backward. Or in my case, a few steps forward. Santa Wore Leathers led to a three-book contract from Harper-Impulse.
2014’s going to be a busy year. I hope yours if full of steps forward, too.
** Learn more about Vonnie at www.vonniedavis.com

18 comments:

Margo Hoornstra said...

Onward and upward, Vonnie! Congratulations.

Barbara Edwards said...

wonderful story. Keep it up.

Jannine Gallant said...

You took some giant leaps forward in 2013. I'm betting 2014 will be just as exciting!

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Thanks, ladies. I so often stop once I've met rejection. I tend to throw up my hands and go, "See? I wasn't good enough." I'm learning that rejection in one area doesn't mean rejection from all fronts. We work in an industry that's very subjective.

Christine DePetrillo said...

I read this post twice, because it is so full of hope and opportunity. Way to go, Vonnie!

Alison Henderson said...

I've been rooting for you all through 2013, and this year will be no different. The give and take of this business is a rollercoaster, but it really just mirrors life. Congrats on all your "ups"!

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Thanks, Christine. Imagine, one rejection led to contracts with the Big Six which have evolved into more contracts. It's a wonderment, isn't it?

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Alison, this business is really a wild, fanatic ride. I had no clue when I started four years ago. Just as clueless as a newborn...lol. What an awakening I've had watching and learning and experiencing. Still, for all that, I'm loving every second of the ride.

Paisley Kirkpatrick said...

As long as you don't let the rejection throw you off your path. I for one, had no idea I had such s strong Scottish stubborn streak, until I kept on trucking for 22 years until I got the contract offer. I think rejection just makes the good parts of writing that much sweeter.

And, Miz Vonnie, you know I must get a copy of that bear shapeshifter when it comes out. Cannot wait....

Jana Richards said...

Wow, what a story Vonnie! Congrats on all your success in 2013.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Paisley, I envy your strength. I don't know if I believe in myself enough to endure 22 years of working, waiting and whining over rejections. I honor you, my friend. For sure you will get a copy of what I'd wanted to entitle "When Paisley Meets Plaid," but as we know, those pubs often rename our literary babies.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Thanks, Jana. It was a mind-bogging journey for a while, believe me.

Paisley Kirkpatrick said...

Oh, Vonnie, I didn't mean for you to give me a copy. I will gladly buy it to support you always. Cannot wait...

Calisa Rhose said...

Instead of stepping in bear pooh, your steps backward seem to land you in a field of poppies littered with gold! Go Vonnie!!! I keep telling you you have NOTHING to doubt when it comes to your writing darlin'. Maybe one day you'll believe me. :)

Alicia Dean said...

Ah, yes. Lovely story. I'm so happy for you! And Calvin was definitely a giant step forward. What a wonderful man. Congrats on your success. Wishing you continued steps forward!

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Do we ever feel we write good enough, Calisa? I feel like I'm on this continual learning curve and hope I at least make some progress. Thanks for the support!

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Thanks, Alicia. Calvin is my blessing. I often say I have arrested development. I didn't start college until I was 44. Didn't meet the love of my life until I was 55 and didn't achieve my dream of being published until I turned 63.

Paisley Kirkpatrick said...

We are sould sisters, Vonnie. I was 68 when I got my first contract. :)