Thursday, January 9, 2014

Forward vs Backward by Brenda Whiteside

Forward with a granddaughter
As a writer, I look backward and forward constantly in regards to my career. But there is an even bigger joy that's giving me whiplash when it comes to forward vs backward.

As some of you know, last year I became a grandmother for the first time. What a trip! Okay, that phrase is a looking back turn of words and clearly marks me as a sixties girl.

My son, many years ago
I can't help comparing some of the things she does to my son's antics as a little one. Looking backward comes without warning. She took her first step and my mind wandered back to his short, chunky legs propelling him forward. Her sweet brow furrows in a scowl and oh my gosh, is that my son! Her bottom lip comes out in a cry and I see him in his blue onesie, puckered up and pouting.

On the other hand, she's our future. Everyday brings something new for us with Sadi Belle in the house. How
could we not look forward to her crawling when she rolled over for the first time? How could we not look forward to her walking when she mastered crawling. Now, how can I not look forward to seeing her dance for the first time? And all those other firsts? My future is feeling pretty bright with a grandchild to keep us on our toes.

Career wise, backward, Amanda in the Summer released last year and readers are giving it great reviews.

This year, forward, the first book in my Love and Murder series will release.
Coming in 2014
No date set yet. Pretty exciting stuff!












Visit Brenda at www.brendawhiteside.com.
She blogs on the 9th and 24th of every month at http://rosesofprose.blogspot.com
She blogs about prairie life and writing at http://brendawhiteside.blogspot.com/


14 comments:

Unknown said...

Brenda,
I find myself doing the same thing only with my children. I had my oldest and my youngest 12 years apart so I find myself reflecting on everything I didn't know (and maybe still don't!).

Thank you for the wonderful post. Very much enjoyed it. Good luck with your promotion.

Jannine Gallant said...

Sadi is adorable. I love seeing the pictures of her you post! Good luck with your new series. BTW, love those covers!

Brenda Whiteside said...

I can see where you would do that, Melissa. Isn't fun to see how very different as well as alike two children from the same family can be.

Thanks, Jannine. I'm a picture taker so there is always an abundance of her!

Barbara Edwards said...

Brenda,
Enjoy every second. Somehow my grandchildren have grown up faster than my own did.

Brenda Whiteside said...

Oh, Barbara! That doesn't make me happy. It is hard to believe she's getting close to the year mark.

remullins said...

My children are all grown up now and I'm facing the empty nest. This Feb. for the first time, I will be living without them. Just the dog and me. None of my children will even be in the same town. The nearest over 60 miles away. Too sad.

Margo Hoornstra said...

From a fellow sixties 'girl' myself, I welcome you to grandmotherhood. A great place to be, right? Best wishes on the books.

Brenda Whiteside said...

I feel for you, RE. I have only one son and until we moved back to AZ, it was so hard being so far apart. But once we came back, he had a child. Worked out great! Sounds like you have a few years and then those grandbabies will begin!

Thanks, Margo. It's a great place to be!

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

I'm late to the party, having just crawled out of the writing cave. I loved your post. Amazing how we can see personality facets of our children in our grandchildren. They really do take us backwards and forwards at the same time.

Brenda Whiteside said...

Hey, Vonnie. I know that cave is deep so thanks for peeking out!

Diane Burton said...

What wonderful things you have to look forward to, Brenda. Enjoy each step of the way with that little one. I didn't so much with my children so I'm making up for it as a grandmother. And loving every minute of it.

Alicia Dean said...

I have no grandchildren yet, but I am sure I would do the same if I did. Sadi is a doll! Thanks for sharing her pics and your wonderful post. Best of luck with the upcoming release!

Brenda Whiteside said...

I hope you get the chance to be one, Alicia. You're in for a treat.

Brenda Whiteside said...

You know, Diane, I don't think I was in the now enough with mine either. It's easier now with the granddaughter. Love it.