Monday, January 13, 2014

One step back, two steps forward

Yep, it's a different take on the "Two steps forward and one step back." Why?

I wrapped up a major bit of work last December, writing 130,000 words in 102 days, writing/finishing a 3-book set.

I think that was pretty freaking awesome, to be honest. And it was Good Writing, too. I don't think I'll need to edit a lot. My plan is to let those 3 books sit for 6 months, then I'll start editing them in July of this year and start work on the next 3 books (it's a 9 book series, with 3 more books planned and drafted, making it 12 total).

I decided to embark on a new mystery book in January, and so far it's going well. I'm getting a good handle on my characters, I know the plot and how it'll work, I have my location.

But I keep going back and jotting notes on that 3-book set I wrapped up in December. Just a jot here and there, a reminder of "don't forget to do this."

I'm doing two steps forward with my newest mystery, and taking one step back to my paranormal series. And you know what--it's working! It allows me to keep that series fresh in my mind, but it also lets me work on New Stuff.

Other examples of the 1-back, 2-forward:I'm re-releasing an old book this year (not sure when yet). And I'll have 2 new books out. So 1 back, 2 forward. I'll talk more about that in my blog later this month because by then I might have release dates.

So you see -- this forward/back stuff can really work!

J L
(30 books and counting)

5 comments:

Alicia Dean said...

Yes, it can work, JL. You're proving that. I love your plan and your prolific-ness (that's not a word, but, you know...) I admire that you can set those books aside for 6 months and produce others in the meantime. Keep up the good work!

Jannine Gallant said...

Wow, you're a writing machine, JL. I'm so impressed with all you accomplish. Keep up the forward motion!

Margo Hoornstra said...

I agree, pretty freaking awesome, JL. Forward or backward notwithstanding, you set a pretty high accomplishment bar. Congratulations!

Barbara Edwards said...

Sounds awesome. That is a big accomplishment.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Wow! You go, girl. Write those stories we love so much.