Tuesday, November 26, 2013

It's the little things that are really big

I found out this week that 2 friends have cancer. Both are parents, one with very small children (4 years old and a baby), and the other a single mom (kids are 14 and 10).

You know, getting a shock like that puts life in perspective. Another friend of mine recently lost both her parents within 7 days of each other. They each were diagnosed with cancer on the same day and they died 3 weeks later.

Talk about shock.

So take a minute, sit back, and count your blessings. I don't know what yours are but are (not in any particular order):

Relatively good health
A good job and a steady income
A nice home
Happy friends & family nearby

... and everything else is gravy, isn't it? I mean, if I have those, what else do I really need?

This really is a Thanks Giving for me this year. I'll be giving thanks for what I have and giving those friends all the support I can in the coming weeks.

Hug your loved ones and have a good holiday!

J L


7 comments:

Jannine Gallant said...

Thanks, JL, for reminding us our problems and complaints should be put into perspective. Let's hope both your friends come out fighting and beat their cancer!

Margo Hoornstra said...

We've lost three friends in the past month, all of them rather unexpectedly. Makes the problems and complaints I've felt recently pale in comparison. I never fail to give thanks every day. Thanks for sharing, JL.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Truer words couldn't have been spoken...or written. Thanks for the reminder.

Diane Burton said...

We need reminders like this. Thanks, JL.

Alicia Dean said...

Excellent reminder, J L. I try to always be grateful for what I have. I am so, so fortunate. I'm living my dream of being a published author, I have three wonderful grown children, a job I love, a network of friends and family...life is good. I have some people in my life who are SO negative. Everything is a disaster and poor me, poor me. It's so frustrating that they can't see how lucky they really are. Maybe I need to share your post with them. Thanks for reminding us!

Leah St. James said...

You're exactly right, JL--especially in this super-charged shopping season where so much focus is on "stuff."

Barbara Edwards said...

Took your advice and hugged my loved ones, called and said I love you and sent up a prayer of thanks.