Thursday, November 14, 2013

Getting Back to Nature

I visit Vermont often. While the fall foliage this year was less than impressive—most of the leaves went straight to yellow-brown and fell off the trees right away—I was still captivated by the natural beauty of the state.

Particularly at night.
 
I had a few moments during this last trip late in the evening, so I stepped outside and looked up to the night sky. The moon looked back through the darkness, along with the stars while the breeze rustled the leaves and crickets chirped their songs.

Incredibly small. That’s how I felt, yet at the same time, I sensed a great energy, a cosmic power, coursing through me as I gazed up at the bright, white moon, symbol of the Goddess. The energy came from all around me. The sky, the Earth, the things I could hear scurrying in the fallen leaves. I was connected to all of it for the briefest of seconds. Nothing manmade came into my mind during this time.
 
I was completely organic.

Totally a part of the planet. I had no desire to hop online, to call anyone, to drive anywhere, to watch TV. I simply wanted to be. To exist. To be a link in the natural chain. I swear I could feel the Earth spinning on her axis, feel her orbiting the sun.

The experience made me think about how in tune with Earth people used to be. I work with children and am always disheartened by how disconnected they are to the outside world. On a recent field trip, my students were horrified that I wouldn’t allow any electronics.
 
“But what are we supposed to do?” they lamented.
 
“Talk to each other, read, enjoy the outdoors,” I replied. This response was met with quite a few blank stares. So sad.

I hope that my students (and many adults too) can find a few minutes to shut off the technology that bombards us every nanosecond of every day. I like modern convenience as much as the next gal, but I love nature more. I find inspiration in her daily. Here’s to hoping you do too.

All of my books have strong connections to nature. Check them out at my Adult Romance website here and my YA Romance website here.

 
Toodles,

Chris
www.christinedepetrillo.weebly.com
www.christymajor.weebly.com

8 comments:

Margo Hoornstra said...

A time without electronics. What a concept. Sounds lovely, I'll have to try it.

Margo Hoornstra said...

A time without electronics. What a concept. Sounds lovely, I'll have to try it.

Margo Hoornstra said...

If you can stand it, case in point. See the above. Me on electronics. Not pretty.

Jannine Gallant said...

I agree about the constant electronics for kids. They're permanently attached to their hands. Geez, we used to go OUTSIDE to play! Every night I take the dog out at 10ish. I live in the mountains--no streetlights and most neighboring houses are vacation homes. Just me and Ginger in the woods with the moon and stars and breeze through the trees. I enjoy it--maybe a little less in winter when it's freezing and snowing. LOL

Alicia Dean said...

What an awesome experience. I'm guilty of being constantly attached to electronics too. Everyone should experience some of those quiet nature moments as often as possible. I would love to visit Vermont! But I will have to try it here in Oklahoma. :-) Thanks for reminding us to take a little nature break from time to time.

Alison Henderson said...

I couldn't agree more. One of the most compelling reasons for our recent move was the breathtaking natural beauty of the area around Carmel. Whenever I'm stressed, I just go outside.

Christine DePetrillo said...

Jannine, one of my most faves is walking my dog at night. It's so serene and unspoiled somehow. I actually love winter nights too especially with a light snowfall.

Betsy Ashton said...

One of my favorite things is to sit on my deck, look at the moon, and listen to water lap against the shoreline. We live on a lake. When the yahoos go home in September, I know I have six months of peace and quiet, little city glow and sounds of nature instead of jet skis and CD players. Thanks for the post. It's beautiful.