Monday, May 27, 2013

Things I've Learned Along the Way

Today is my sixty-fifth birthday. How can this be when I'm so young? Or so I keep asking myself. Calvin, on the other hand, just smirks and says, "It's been a long time coming, angel." Yeah, like sixty-five years! Golly, just saying it makes my eyeballs twitch. I retired when we married ten years ago, so this birthday milestone does not carry with it the typical yay me, I get to retire hoopla. Although I am a proud carrier of a Medicare card. And when I announced to my doctor during my visit last week that he was getting my virgin Medicare card, the young man blushed. "I just love you and Calvin. I'm telling you, I've got no patients like the two of you."

That was a compliment. Right?

So what have I learned along the way to this milestone? I've learned to love more and judge less. I've learned to embrace the future and cherish the past. I've learned the smartest people are little children. They see the wonders of the world through eyes filled with possibilities instead of boxing things in with jaded expectations. Take a dandelion, for example. A child looks upon it as a thing of beauty and magic. Blow on it and watch what happens. Adults look at the same flower and think weeds.
 
Most importantly I've learned the value of dreams. The ultimate fulfillment one experiences when he or she completes every step toward the attainment of that dream or goal. For me, it was writing and being published. For others, it is getting a college degree or playing professional sports or mastering a musical instrument or dance. All require sacrifice and hard work. All strengthen our souls and enrich our lives.
 
One of my favorite poets is Langston Hughes. I'd like to share his poem regarding dreams:
 

Dreams by Langston Hughes

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.
Hold fast to dreams
For when dreams go
Life is a barren field
Frozen with snow.      

4 comments:

Margo Hoornstra said...

Happy Birthday, Vonnie! Wonderful post. Very insightful. Thanks for sharing. I feel better already. Plus, I'm coming up right behind you. Long time coming, you bet.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Thanks, Margo. It's going to be a great day because I'll be spending it with people I love.

Jannine Gallant said...

Happy birthday! You are so right - hold tight to those dreams!

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Thanks Jannine.