I'm just going to go ahead and say it. I have the best mom on the planet.
"You exaggerate, Christine," you say.
"On the planet? Really?" You don't believe me.
"Surely there are greater moms out there," you suggest.
No. I'm sorry. You. Are. Wrong.
Here's a list of ten reasons why my mom ROCKS:
1. She hung all my schoolwork and art projects on the refrigerator when I was a kid. I vividly recall her taking each item and holding it as if it were a precious artifact. She'd study the contents of the work, her face beaming with pride even if the sky was colored purple or not every word was spelled correctly. She'd offer a congratulatory hug, kiss, and smile then lovingly secure the work to the refrigerator with a magnet. Stepping back, she'd admire my creations for a few more moments and boy, did I feel like the smartest, most talented kid that ever existed. It made me work hard to earn a place on that Refrigerator of Excellence.
2. She always has dessert ready. If you have a hankering for something sweet, my mom's kitchen is apocalypse-ready in that department. In case of a zombie invasion, hunker down at her house and you'll drown your worries over the fallen human race in sugar and chocolate.
3. She can pump out gift baskets like a factory. You like movies? She's got a basket for that. You like sailing? She's got a basket for that. You like Hungarian love poems? Well, I've never seen that basket, but I'll bet she'd be able to pull that one off too.
4. She's got great hair. Full and bouncy. I thank her profusely for sharing that particular DNA with me.
5. She leaves me dinner when I go away for the weekend. My husband and I have a place in Vermont and when we come back to our every day home, dinner is always waiting in the refrigerator. Not coming home to an empty refrigerator is such a blessing.
6. She;s great at crafts. She can look at something old and find a way to recycle it into something adorable. Her style is country rustic and I can't tell you how many times something has gotten a second chance at life in her decorating.
7. She's nice to everyone even if they are a pain in the butt. Look up "friendly" in the dictionary and her picture will be there, smiling at you, trying to get to know you, ready to listen to whatever you wish to tell her. I wish I had half of her niceness. I'm quick to dismiss people, but she accepts all kinds. She doesn't judge.
8. She gave me life. I'll be forever in her debt.
9. She's a great theater buddy. Whether it's a movie that my husband or my dad would never see or a droolfest planned for a Harry Connick Jr. concert, my mom is always willing to embark on an adventure into the arts with me.
10. I can tell her anything. And I do mean anything. I know she will never tell me I'm ridiculous. She listens to all my writing ideas with interest and most times we end up laughing until we cry whenever we chat. I know if I'm in a bad mood and I really want to rip someone's head off and shove it up his or her...well, you get the idea...I know she'll talk me off the ledge and help me see things logically. Or she'll put on her kickin' ass boots and be my backup.
I heart my mom. Happy Mother's Day!
What is or was great about your mom?
For a great mom fix, read Kisses to Remember. Johanna Ware will do anything to protect her son and is willing to care for a perfect stranger. Buy at Amazon. Also available at Barnes & Noble. Available in ebook and print.