Friday, May 24, 2013

May is for Multi-tasking by Brenda Whiteside

Hello, my name is Brenda and I'm a multi-tasker. No matter how hard I try, I keep slipping off the wagon. Nothing seems to work to break me of this most annoying addiction. I don't find it annoying, but the people I live with have a few objections.

So I've ruined a few pans by not sticking close to what I'm cooking - that's the price they pay for letting me cook anyway. Boiled chicken becomes browned and sort of crispy. And you'll find blackened salmon on expensive menus. At least I was able to weed the flowers and change the sheets on the bed while dinner was cooking.

Maybe it's not the best idea to write those last few sentences of chapter four while the sink fills with water. But the floor needed mopping anyway.

Speaking of water, the flower bed just won't need to be watered for maybe a week or two, but how can I remember to get back to moving the hose when my dog is demanding breakfast and I'm making out the shopping list while waiting for my toast to pop up while my coffee is brewing?

And no I can't just talk on the phone. With the phone tucked between my chin and ear, my hands are free to make the bed or check my email. This only causes problems when my chin hits the disconnect or the person on the other end of the line says "are you listening to me?"



A little something about Brenda:
Although I didn’t start out to write romance, I’ve found all good stories have to involve complicated human relationships. I’ve also learned, no matter a person’s age, a new discovery is right around every corner. Whether humorous or serious, straight contemporary or mystery, all my books revolve around those two facts.

Visit Brenda at www.brendawhiteside.com.
She blogs on the 9th and 24th of every month at http://rosesofprose.blogspot.com
She blogs about prairie life and writing at http://brendawhiteside.blogspot.com/



6 comments:

Jannine Gallant said...

Yep, I make the mistake of answering the phone while I'm writing all the time. Then I just keep saying "unhuh, unhuh," and pretend I'm listening. Multitasking is a fine art, so be proud!

Brenda Whiteside said...

Too funny, Jannine. I can't get away with that with my sister. She always says, are you writing?

Karen Q. said...

That's hilarious, and it exactly what I do. Can't just sit and talk on the phone; must be doing chores. While brushing my teeth, I often head into another room because I just remembered something that needed to be done. Maybe it runs in the family...lol.

Margo Hoornstra said...

As I read, the word hilarious came to my mind too. Boy did I see myself in some of those multi-taskings gone awry!

Brenda Whiteside said...

Karen, it must! Very hard to just stand and brush teeth. I've thought about making a phone call but that never works well.

Brenda Whiteside said...

Margo - I wonder if it's a woman thing?!