Most of my books take place in New England. I’ve called that area home for the past forty-one years so I know it well. Describing it is easy and comfortable. I can focus more on the characters and the storyline because the setting is on auto-pilot.
But is that getting old? Is it boring?
I’m trying to branch out in exploring setting. I won’t stop writing about New England, but there’s room for other places too. The following is a list of The Top Five Settings I’d Like to Try. See what you think.
- Australia – I’ve been fascinated by the wildlife found on this continent for eons. It’s time to work it into a story. I’d love to visit there for real sometime, but can probably satiate myself on some virtual vacationing via internet first.
- Hawaii – I’m due for a nice Hawaiian romance novel where the hero and heroine lounge on gorgeous beaches and explore volcanoes together. Yeah. Got to do it.
- Medieval Times – So here I’m talking about the “when” of setting. I mostly write contemporary romances, but would absolutely love to dip into the time of knights and castles and royalty. There’s so much there to work with that would produce a rich and interesting story.
- Another Planet/Galaxy – Something a little intergalactic might be fun. Earth can be rather limiting at times. It could be nice to step outside the Milky Way and toy with a love that makes its home in another galaxy.
- Texas – Cowboys. Reason enough, no?
I don’t have storylines or characters for any of these settings yet, but I’m sure some will come along. All my books have started with a character voice whispering in my head. I’ll bet now that I’ve put these settings down in black and white, interested characters will come knocking soon. Better have my writing notebook handy.
If you’re an author, what settings do you want to write about that you haven’t explored yet? If you’re a reader, what settings do you like to read about? What settings would you definitely NOT want to read about?
The Maple Leaf Series, Books One to Five, available now. Book One, More Than Pancakes, is always FREE.