Monday, August 24, 2015

The Joy and The Pain by Brenda Whiteside

The last two weeks have been a flurry of activity that's left me exhausted with my back in pain. I've had back probs all my life, but have been able to keep it in check with proper exercise. So I blew it. Not taking the time to exercise and the stress of juggling too many things hit me hard. I've got multiple writing projects going, and farmer Lance has been off the farm, which means I fill in as best I can. The orchard surprised me this week. We actually have some fruit this year. All but one of the apple trees has fruit...some only a couple but that's something. The pear tree is producing. And the big story is the plum tree with ONE
Pears
plum. LOL But it's a pretty thing.

Garlic before cleaning
We've also started the process of trimming, cleaning and boxing the garlic for market. Right now we have two wholesalers looking at our offerings. Hopefully, in about ten days we will be 2,000 pounds lighter of garlic.
Cleaned and boxed







This morning, my husband and I are off to Tucson to stay in a resort for two days, compliments of my son and DIL as a birthday gift. I'm hoping this forced relaxation will be what my back needs and I can avoid the doctor!




Brenda spends most of her time writing stories of discovery and love entangled with suspense. The rest of her time is spent tending vegetables on the small family farm she shares with her husband, son, daughter-in-law and granddaughter. Together, they’ve embraced an age-old lifestyle that has been mostly lost in the United States - multiple generations living under one roof, who share the workload, follow their individual dreams and reap the benefits of combined talents.
Apples                                                                                    

Weeding the zucchini

8 comments:

Jannine Gallant said...

I hope your back feels better soon. Oh my goodness, all that garlic looks terrific. Love that your farming experiment is producing such great results! But, your back takes the "no pain no gain" saying to a new (and uncomfortable) level.

Rolynn Anderson said...

Glad you get a break, Brenda. Rest up. Stress and repetitive motions can get us these days. When I spent too much time on a painting task, my arm protested mightily. My doctor said, no more than three hours in a day at a given task and I've used that concept since...works! A little wine after a three hour task works even better :-)

Alison Henderson said...

I feel your pain, Brenda. Even though I love gardening, my back no longer likes it at all. I can't imagine what would happen if I put in all the time you've spent working on that gorgeous garlic. Enjoy your R & R!

Brenda Whiteside said...

Sorry I wasn't around today y'all. I'm relaxing now (well a little Internet work first) at the resort. Looking forward to a soak in the tub!

Leah St. James said...

Wow...I guess I have no excuse for ignoring the sofa-sized flower bed in front of my house! I also suffer from back pain, Brenda, and know how debilitating it can be. Hope you're feeling much better by now!

Margo Hoornstra said...

A long ago car accident, chronic back and arm pain ever since unless I exercise. We all seem to learn the hard way. I could almost hear your sigh of relief when you said resort and soak in the tub. Congrats on the crop successes. Hope the garlic goes well.

Brenda Whiteside said...

Leah, back pain seems to be a shared experience by so many of us. I wonder why??

Brenda Whiteside said...

Thanks, Margo, and take care of that back!