Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Rediscoveries

I've taken this year off from publishing, but not from writing. I wrote 2 books earlier this year, and I'm deep into writing another one and will finish it soon.

When I quit focusing on publishing and focused on writing, I re-discovered how much I enjoyed writing again. The book I'm working is one I may or may not ever submit to a publisher, but it's made me realize how much I enjoy writing.

I always enjoyed writing my published books, but there's a certain freedom in writing a book that may not ever go beyond your keyboard. The gratification is in the writing, not the eventual 'product'.

I'll start looking for a publisher for my mystery series later this fall, but for now, I'm just enjoying the break. After all, isn't that what summer is for -- a nice vacation from 'normal'?

J L
(jayellwilson.com)

6 comments:

Margo Hoornstra said...

Well you sure got me thinking with that one, JL. After I wrote my first book that was published I remember saying, "If I don't make a dime, that's okay because I so loved the process." Thanks for the valuable reminder.

Rolynn Anderson said...

Good point, JL. If a tree falls in a forest does it matter if no one hears it? I've never written just for myself...I'm urged on by the idea that I'm producing for a readership. Making money was a side benefit-if it ever happened :-) Geesh, even as a golfer, I play better with a gallery and/or with the best players in my foursome. You have more of the self-contained/sustained artist in you, JL. Enviable!

Jannine Gallant said...

It would be fun to just WRITE again. Not worry about editing and deadlines and promotion. What a concept! I like it!

Diane Burton said...

After I went thru a bad time and had given up on writing to publish, I decided to write for fun. I didn't care if I was published. I just wanted to enjoy writing again. That was so freeing. Obviously, I'm back to writing for publication, but I'm enjoying it more. The break was just what I needed. Best wishes, JL

Brenda Whiteside said...

Sounds like a tempting thing to do. Maybe once I finish this series...

Leah St. James said...

I know how you feel, JL. We get so wrapped up in the business side of the business, the joy of writing can be lost. It's something to remember!