Thursday, November 23, 2017

Being Thankful On Thanksgiving by Margo Hoornstra





Happy Thanksgiving!

As I celebrate this day with family and friends, I find I really do have a lot to be thankful for. Such as:

  1. A strong, healthy, loving and tremendously supportive immediate family. Led by my husband Ron, the list includes my four children and in-law children, as well as four precious grandchildren.
  2. An equally strong, healthy, loving and supportive extended family. My brother, brothers-in-law, sisters-in-law (who read and praise my work!), nieces, nephews and cousins. None better in this world.
  3. Many friends, both writing related and otherwise. Those I have met face to face, and those I only know through our on-line connections. All are similarly treasured.
  4. The ability to walk. A few years ago, I 'blew a knee' I couldn't put any weight on for a few weeks. Being pushed in a wheelchair when I wanted to be out and about, was an eye opening experience. I give thanks every day my injury was only temporary.
  5. The appearance when I need it/them the most of my muse, inspiration, ideas, scenarios. Whatever you call the phenomenon that allows me to transfer the ramblings in my head into cohesive, and hopefully entertaining, words, sentences, chapters and books.
  6. Popcorn. Be it caramel coated, kettle, cheese or plain. The best snack ever. Especially at the movie theater.
  7. Living in a country where we are free to do and be what we want, within reason of course, and those who sacrifice to keep us and them free.
  8. Having signed four, count them 4 contracts for Brothers In Blue books (two written and two yet to be) and released in 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020.
  9. Getting appropriate medical tests, one of which detected an early cancer that was quickly taken care of. And having excellent professional care available for whatever the future brings.
  10. Being part of this wonderful blog known as The Roses of Prose which allows me to share and express myself knowing my colleagues have my back no matter what.
So how about you? I know you've been asked this before, but humor me. What are some of the things you are thankful to have in your life? List as many as you care to, then share them here or not. No pressure. Just enjoy your day.

My days to blog here are the 11th and 23rd. For more about me and the stories I write, please visit my WEBSITE

Also, find me on FACEBOOK or TWITTER or GOODREADS or AMAZON

10 comments:

Leah St. James said...

Wonderful list, Margo. You are so right about mobility. One time when my kids were small I broke my foot and couldn't put any weight on it for what seemed forever. (I think Son No. 2 was a toddler!) I vowed then to never again take the ability to walk for granted. Same with quality medical care and a country of freedoms. I love that you included popcorn! It is one of those near-perfect foods.:-)

Diane Burton said...

Nothing beats movie theater popcorn! We are truly grateful to live in a country of freedoms, which too often we take for granted. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Jannine Gallant said...

I'm thankful we arrived at my mom's yesterday and have both daughters here from college for the holiday. Happy Turkey Day everyone!

Margo Hoornstra said...

So true, Leah, so true. We have so much in common. Maybe we really are twins after all, huh? LOL. Have a great day today.

Diane. Enjoy your day with the kids and grandkids. Cuddle the twins for me.

I'm thankful you arrived safely too, Jannine. You have a great day too.

Rolynn Anderson said...

A great list, Margo. On my own I would list the astonishing beauty of our country, having seen some of the National Parks this year. We are lucky to have had presidents with great foresight. Happy Thanksgiving!

Lucy Naylor Kubash said...

Lots of good thoughts, Margo. I am most thankful that my kids get along so well. I know families where the siblings hate each other and there is so much friction at gatherings. Granted, I only have two children and one in-law, but still, they like one another and have a good time when together. I'm also thankful for my ability to read and for the gift of writing.

Margo Hoornstra said...

The National Parks are on my list to visit. The sooner the better. A president with foresight. What a concept. We are/have been in good hands.

Margo Hoornstra said...

Excellent thoughts, Lucy. My four kids and in -law kids get along too and it is great. Reading and writing are good too. Wonderful even.

Alicia Dean said...

Love this post, Margo. Sorry I didn't make it by yesterday, but I was busy cooking and enjoying a warm, fun, loving day with my family, which I am very thankful for. Great list...you have some many blessings, and you are a blessing to others. Hugs and hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful!

Margo Hoornstra said...

Ours was wonderful, Ally. Like yours. Me a blessing? What a sweet thing to say. Thank you. Hugs right back.