Thursday, September 21, 2017

Talking about critiquing by Barbara Edwards

Talking about critiquing.

I did say I’d share my experience so here It is.

My chapter talk turned out a little weird. 
Four people were in attendance. Instead of doing the formal talk I’d written I did a question and answer session. 

I asked why they wanted a CP. One member didn’t know anything about critiquing and was nervous about sharing her work. Another asked her how she expected to get past an editor? 

I had to go back to the basics. I explained you need rules like how often, how many pages, meeting online or in person, what do you want from the critique? An overview, grammar, dialogue/ plot or character focus?

What do you do if it doesn’t work for you? 


The end result was the four of us are going to start a group. 

We’ll share the pages on-line then meet next month to discuss the critiques.
I’m hoping it is productive. If not, then no harm no foul.


Please follow, friend or like me. I love to hear from my readers.
Amazon Author’s Page http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B003F6ZK1A

6 comments:

Brenda whiteside said...

What a turn...that you formed a group. Hope it works out!

Jannine Gallant said...

Sounds like it could work for all of you! Good luck!

Margo Hoornstra said...

That's great you found fellow critiquers. Go for it and good luck!

Rolynn Anderson said...

Mentoring is a wonderful legacy. What I discovered when I started teaching is students don't know how to critique as critical friends; and guess what, when I was a high school principal, I found out teachers didn't know the protocols either. Learning how to be a critical friend is vital...and you're right...you need that group BEFORE you hand over the MS to the Editor!

Leah St. James said...

Weird...I remember posting a comment yesterday.
Anyway...that's pretty cool, Barbara! Sometimes you get so much more out of small groups, and it sounds like this worked out great!

Alicia Dean said...

Ha, that did take a turn! Very cool! I hope it works out well for all of you. I'm sure you helped them a great deal.